Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Houston newspapers would have items about the shoot ?
I think it was the year George Kemnitz won, but it was so long ago I could be off by a year. Have the registered shoots held in Houston still on record somewhere ?
I remember that Glen McCarthy was one of the shooters in the finals.
Thanks, Pat Laudon

·
Registered
292 Posts
I can't answer for certain, but in those days a trapshoot - especially a large one would have been covered by the newspapers even more thoroughly than major baseball or football games are today. Give it a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Johnpe

·
Registered
880 Posts
Houston, the fourth largest city in the United States, has only one major newspaper, The Houston Chronicle. Their website is Chron.com It's only significant competitor, The Houston Post, went out of business years ago.

It is a good bet that the shoot you are interested in was held at the Greater Houston Gun Club and there is some possibility that there may be a record available through that club. Good luck with your research.

John Matthews

·
Premium Member
10,495 Posts
Unless destroyed by water or fire the records should be on micro-fiche or CD. They may do the research for a fee or may allow you to do the search yourself. Some newspapers wont let you near their archives unless you have a court order.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If memory serves me right, Greater Houston didn't open until late 50 or early 60's. Most of the shotgun shooting that I remember was at the South Main Club,out past the Shamrock Hotel a ways, not far from Elliot's Steak House.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.