Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1918 flu pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920)[1] was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus (the second being the 2009 flu pandemic). It infected 500 million[2] people across the world, including remote Pacific islands and the Arctic, and killed 50 to 100 million of them—3 to 5 percent of the world's population[3] —making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history...

Most influenza outbreaks disproportionately kill juvenile, elderly, or already weakened patients; in contrast the 1918 pandemic killed predominantly previously healthy young adults. Modern research, using virus taken from the bodies of frozen victims, has concluded that the virus kills through a cytokine storm (overreaction of the body's immune system). The strong immune reactions of young adults ravaged the body, whereas the weaker immune systems of children and middle-aged adults resulted in fewer deaths among those groups...

The global mortality rate from the 1918/1919 pandemic is not known, but an estimated 10% to 20% of those who were infected died. With about a third of the world population infected, this case-fatality ratio means 3% to 6% of the entire global population died.[29] Influenza may have killed as many as 25 million people in its first 25 weeks. Older estimates say it killed 40–50 million people,[4] while current estimates say 50–100 million people worldwide were killed.[30]

This pandemic has been described as "the greatest medical holocaust in history" and may have killed more people than the Black Death.[31] It is said that this flu killed more people in 24 weeks than AIDS has killed in 24 years, more in a year than the Black Death killed in a century...

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. More people died of influenza in a single year than in four-years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351. Known as "Spanish Flu" or "La Grippe" the influenza of 1918-1919 was a global disaster.

In the fall of 1918 the Great War in Europe was winding down and peace was on the horizon. The Americans had joined in the fight, bringing the Allies closer to victory against the Germans. Deep within the trenches these men lived through some of the most brutal conditions of life, which it seemed could not be any worse. Then, in pockets across the globe, something erupted that seemed as benign as the common cold.

The influenza of that season, however, was far more than a cold. In the two years that this scourge ravaged the earth, a fifth of the world's population was infected. The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40. This pattern of morbidity was unusual for influenza which is usually a killer of the elderly and young children. It infected 28% of all Americans (Tice). An estimated 675,000 Americans died of influenza during the pandemic, ten times as many as in the world war. Of the U.S. soldiers who died in Europe, half of them fell to the influenza virus and not to the enemy (Deseret News). An estimated 43,000 servicemen mobilized for WWI died of influenza (Crosby). 1918 would go down as unforgettable year of suffering and death and yet of peace.

·
Registered
738 Posts
It was the cause of my grandfather's death in 1918. He contracted it while working on the train that transported troops from Missouri towards the east coast to be shipped off for Europe. It is listed as starting in Missouri, sickening those on the trains, and mutating on the ships that carried the troops overseas. When they landed at several ports in Europe, it spread everywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I have had the flu of 1918. At the rip age of 23 when I came down with it, I know why so many people died. Two weeks and 20 (yes 20) lbs later I pulled out of it. Flat on my back for 11 days. My wife made me a bed next to the bathroom.

Would not wish it on my worst enemy. Funny thing is since then I have never received a flu shot, and haven't been sick with any flu since.

Brady

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
My mother in law lost her father to that flu. Don't know the year but she is 100 so the math works.

Could a pandemic like that happen in these times? I don't have much faith in the flu shot. Would modern medical practices prevent the widespread death?

Bill

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Could a pandemic like that happen now? Absolutely, probably will. CDC and WHO are scared to death that eventually one of the bad ones is going to mutate enough to be easibly transmissible between humans. Health systems overwhelmed, chaos everywhere. Scary, scary stuff!

The first case of H5N1 bird flu in North America was reported in Canada two weeks ago. Fatal. An excerpt from the article showing a mortality rate of just over 59%:

"The World Health Organization says that as of mid-December, there had been 648 laboratory-confirmed human cases of H5N1 flu, reported mostly in Asia. Of that total, 384 infections have been fatal."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts