Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Jimmy: here's your girl Mrs. Johnston. I haven't been able to find any details of the "International Team Contest".

August 19, 1916

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think I've restored the previous images.

Jimmy may have posted this news article with Sophrona and Annie at the 1902 GAH at Live Birds (NOT at Interstate Park)? Can he or anyone confirm the source please? Duncan Curry was a sports writer for the New York Journal and Advertiser.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Those were the "Good Old Days" !

A lot different than the shooting sports today.

I have a bunch of old shooting trophies that show shooters dressed up with coats/vests/ties and spats.

Now we have Tee shirts and sponsor hats!

Paul in Virginia

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think Jimmy posted this news clipping

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Since this thread was started I have acquired the solid gold watch that was given to H.C. Hirschey from the Hazard Powder Company that sponsored him.

Hirschy Watch 1.jpg Hirschy 10.jpg Hirschy Watch 2.jpg Hirschy Watch 5.jpg Hirschy Watch 7.jpg

The watch works great, keeps great time, and is a thing of beauty. The 456 is in diamonds and represents how many entries were in the 1902 GAH Live Bird Tournament. I just happened to stumble on it and snapped it up as quick as I could.

Jimmy Bowen

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Los Angeles Herald, April 8,1902
H. C. Hirschy of Minneapolis, who won the Grand American handicap Saturday.
The handicap winner Is a short, rather thin young man and in sporting parlance a great "jollier." Hirschy Is a clever wood engraver and has the stock of his Smith shotgun carved into all manner of fanciful designs. He formerly traveled for the Robin Hood Powder company, but of late he has been representing the Hunter Arms company on the road.
Hirschy formerly made a practice of traveling all over the northwest to the various tournaments, and he was a welcome visitor wherever he might care to go—a genial sportsman, a good loser and a good fellow generally. All who know him are glad he won the handicap.

Image in Sporting Life

Reactions: Jimmy Bowen

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
5 boxes, handicap rises from 25 to 33 yards, 50 yards boundary.

The grounds at Elkwood Park, 1897

21 - 38 of 38 Posts