Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend has a Winchester 1886 in 45-70 cal that has been in his family for some time. Below are some pics and we are trying to figure out a value and if someone on here is interested in it. I can post more pics and a video of someone would like to see it.

serial number is 41XX and I have more pics

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
It appears to be a Deluxe model with special features. Before selling, you need an expensive Cody letter to see if it is original. All pricing of this gun above about $800 will require that letter. All serious Winchester dealers have "call in" privileges at Cody. Make a friend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am interested in your 1886. Give me a call at 417-286-3066. I have a few questions. Looks like a nice gun that should bring a nice price.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
849 Posts
I sold one to Tom Selleck, he collects those. He is a friend of Lucio. Desireable in that caliber and it almost looks like a deluxe model. Do your research online and get the most.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Condition is everything when talking about the value of antique guns. You need to evaluate the bore condition and all other metal parts as well and if it is mechanically sound. Also need the condition of the wood.

To get you started, and based on your photos, I am going to make a couple of general comments. This gun does not appear to have any case colors left. The forearm wood of this gun does not match with the grade of the buttstock and is not checkered. I cannot see the buttplate well but it looks like metal and I don’t think that is the correct configuration. These are the kinds of things that impact the value.

Check out this web site to see some really nice model 86 rifles. http://merzantiques.com/catalog/sell/winchester-model-1886

If you follow the steps thru this web site, you will have a chance to pay a couple of bucks and get an appraisal. http://homesteadfirearms.com/appraisals/winchester/1886/1886model-configurations.htm

Good luck with your research.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the info, we have a collector in the process of getting info from Winchester at the Cody museum and will go from there. Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts