Votes: 26 13.3%
  • no

Votes: 169 86.7%
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 18 was implemented as a three year trial. Do you think the 18 and 19 are needed with the added squadding and awards ?

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
I know guys that should not be there....AND I know some that keep shooting because they are allowed to be there. I hope its still around when Im 80 years old....heck I hope Im around.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
NO///// Jr. Gold , Lady I, should also be eliminated. Roger C.
I can see getting rid of "jr gold" but not Lady 1. I already have stiff competition in LadyII which is where I'm at as wheelchair shooters are ignored except during the final 3 events at a Satellite Grand.

What bothers me is that a lone shooter in any category except Chair can rack up Wins but Chair shooters are ignored even when they out number others like Durning the prelim week at Tucson Autumn Grand.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I voted no but I know several elderly shooters who are still able to shoot handicap because they can shoot from 18 or 19 yds. They never win anything but they don't embarrass themselves so they keep shooting. If they were moved back they would probably quit shooting handicap altogether.

If I had my way I would do away with sub Jr., Jr. gold, sub vet, & vet.........everyone over 65 would shoot senior vet catagory.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If someone on 18 or 19 yards quits because he's moved to the 20, he really doesn't want to shoot trap very badly, does he?

If skill level, age, or health problems (or inexperience) makes someone non-competitive on the 20, taking a step or two forward isn't going to change that. For cryin' out loud, how much harder are 20 yards birds than 19 yard birds?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
That's a big 10-4 Literalist. My kid is a Sub Jr. He has under 1000 targets and is at the 19 yard line. Everytime....Everytime he is at a shoot he tells me it is embarrassing and that is does not seem fair to the other shooters. He hasn't got punched back yet and he still feels that way, he's freakin 13 and has the common sense of a wet noodle

Reactions: 2llc and WadHopper

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Several of those shooters at the 18-19 yard line couldn't shoot a handicap winning score from the 16! Lot's of wiggle room to game our sport by those in the know, especially at the largest of our shoots.

When in doubt whether or not a new plan is working for the best for our sport or the shooters, refer back in our history to see what worked and what didn't.

Our goals as a shooting sport has never been one to make winners out of losers, or is that what's being discussed by this change? History say's our game of handicap begins at the 20 yard line to the max of 27. During that era, we experienced our best growth rate.

To add another to Roger C.s list for deleting, Sub-Vet should be dismissed in addition. All of these classes cut down on the over-all quality of competitive shoots and raises shooting costs to everyone. Squadding can be a nightmare for club management in being as fair as possible to all shooters while addressing the safety factor! JMLTHO

HAP

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
If someone on 18 or 19 yards quits because he's moved to the 20, he really doesn't want to shoot trap very badly, does he?

If skill level, age, or health problems (or inexperience) makes someone non-competitive on the 20, taking a step or two forward isn't going to change that. For cryin' out loud, how much harder are 20 yards birds than 19 yard birds?
I respectfully disagree. I am not a dog in this fight BUT... I know guys that do keep shooting as stated above because they have short yardage. If not for that they may just give it up. And to debate your comment that "if someone is not competitive at the 20 moving up is not going to help" Than moving back 2 yards will make no differenct to??? In your theory handicap yardage is not relevant. It may not be to you personally but some older shooters it is.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Some people have trouble understanding the concept. Just like the provision not requiring compulsory reductions from any yardage, including the 27 yard line, the purpose of the 18 and 19 yard line is to keep shooters happy and want to keep shooting. Isn't that what trapshooting is all about?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Definitely eliminate the 18-19. Unless they want to restrict it down to a novice-only yardage event and not shoot for any championships or purses.

Too many grown ass men and very experienced shooters are shooting there. It's distasteful and dishonest in an open event.

Besides, a knuckle dragging ape shooting a $25,000 K-80 combo with over 10k registered handicap targets playing all the options "won" the Grand American Handicap from the 18 yd line three years ago.

I still call BS on that, even though the committee was to chicken to right the wrong.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts