Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

.17HMR for a personal carry gun

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  CalvinMD 
#1 ·
Shoot someone with that and you might really p**s him off. I'd rather there were only one side of the story if I would be forced to use mine. My .44 would probably not do as much tissue damamge as the .17 but it would do it a heck of a lot deeper.

Big Jack

#2 ·
there will no doubt be a lot of differing opinions here just like another similar thread not long ago. I am not personally familiar with the round you are talking about but my position is still that the best for personal defense is one that you are skilled and practiced with. If you can effectively put rounds in both of the kill zones in a quick, effecient manner under stressful conditions, it will do the job. If you can't, no caliber will do it no matter how big. Mike

#3 ·
chatbrat,

I use a .17 HMR for ground hogs (mine's a rifle, though). It doesn't kill them right away without a head shot, and sometimes they can run off even with a good, solid body shot. I wouldn't want to use one to stop someone coming after me, unless it's all I had...

#12 ·
If the bad guy's running away you might give him a sore a$$. Personally I want the loudest biggest thing I can carry. Unfortunately I live in Florida and in the summer, without jackets, sweaters or vest, it's tough to conceal much. Therefore I use a Keltec in .32 ACP, fits nicely in my pocket, Ugly little sucker but it really shoots well, by that I mean it's reliable. I have never had a FTF or FTE, no stove pipes if you keep a stiff wrist. It also go "BANG" real good!

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">
</a>

Bustclays

#13 ·
I agree...I have heard nothing but good things about the Keltecs. For a pocket gun I plan on getting one in the .380 I get tired of carrying my Glock23. Its too heavy and a .40 cal is a bit overkill. No pun intedended. The police I know say that is the most bad*** LITTLE round for personal defense (the .380 that is).

As for the .17hmr for a defense gun. Are you serious? You wouldnt want to carry a 22lr for defense...so why carry something smaller? Keep in mind that people who are hopped up on meth dont feel pain when they are attacking you...therefore I want somthing that will get to the vitals. Just MHO. If you want a .17 then get in a rifle with a bull barrel and put a big scope on it and hammer some small critters.

Forrest

#14 ·
The lead poisoning will get them with a .17. Gee, Lead water pipes killed so many people and lead shot killed so many ducks and geese that ate it,shotmakers killed lots of reloaders,bullet casters are dropping like flies Right? Well, all you have to do is yell, I have LEAD in my bullets and anyone should run into the night to get away from that Bad Old Lead! Alas, only the sheep that follow the crowd and the dumbass's that write to the crowd will run from that statement. I carry a 45 auto. If it's good enough for Phillipeans with wet leather strapped around their gonads it's good enough for my friends on dope! Bigger is better! Spend some money and shoot it to get good with it.Double taps, chest,forehead! Tell me which one hit first,Mr. Procecutor!

#18 ·
Nothing amazes me more than these kinds of questions.

Gentlemen; as in most "good things", size matters. At least one "name" training facility insists participants show up with a .380 as a minimum caliber.

I cannot fathom why anyone would use a sub-caliber for defense and why such a gun would ever be manufactured as the "target" market must be minuscule. But like WC Fields said "There is a sucker born every minute".

If you want small, get a Kahr PM or MK (9mm or .40 S&W), Seecamp .380, or a .38 snub-nose. You are wasting money on the Laser sight that should be invested in a proper gun.

You will be under-gunned with a .17. No one can dispute that. The last thing you need when you need when things turn ugly is to be thinking "I need to make a perfect shot or I am dead" - You will have already lost confidence, added to your fear/panic, and you will decrease your chance of survival.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.