Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A friend just picked his new Savage up last week. After handling it for a few minutes I was not impressed at all. Very cheap looking and feeling IMO. If that's the only gun chambered in this new round I won't be trying one.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Right now reports are the cartridge is not nearly as accurate as the 17 HMR.

Problem is the only game in town right now is the Savage B-25. Only gun writers have gotten ahold of the Win 1885 in 17 WSM and unfortunately it seems they can't shoot for crap.

There is another thread here on this subject and we're waiting for test results.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just for reference volquartsen announced a semi .17wsm, Franklin armory is/has released an AR platform in the .17wsm, and I know of a couple people who have converted single shot break open guns from .17 hmr to .17wsm

Finding one of the above is somewhat difficult.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Ballistics wise there's not a nickels worth of difference between the 17WSM and the old `22 Hornet. Plus you can handload for the Hornet, tweak the load for your rifle and your particular needs, while avoiding expensive factory only available cartridges. If you really must have a 17, you can neck the Hornet down to .17 Caliber Hornet. IMHO, the 17WSM is another useless cartridge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts