Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about 16 yd. trap VS 23 yd. trap. I have been shooting very well so far in our league but my yardage scores leave a little to be desired. Five weeks in and have missed 0ne or two targets at 16 yd. but shooting near 20 at the 23 yd line. I know I need to be slower and smoother at yardage but is there anything else that I should be doing? I used U3 choke at each yardage so I don't think I need more choke. The gun is a K-80 setup shooting 50-50 to 60-40. Thanks All.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I've tried holding higher and lower and it doesn't work for me. Adding a 1/8" shim under the comb to increase POI by 4" @ 40 does the trick for me. You can see the 23 yards birds better when they clear the house, so you should be on them a little faster, not slower.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
The good old 23. It took me 6 months to get off the 23. Finally raised the POI and 4 months later I was on the 27. Trying to shoot a 50/50 at 23 is really tough.

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
Question about 16 yd. trap VS 23 yd. trap. I have been shooting very well so far in our league but my yardage scores leave a little to be desired. Five weeks in and have missed 0ne or two targets at 16 yd. but shooting near 20 at the 23 yd line. I know I need to be slower and smoother at yardage but is there anything else that I should be doing? I used U3 choke at each yardage so I don't think I need more choke. The gun is a K-80 setup shooting 50-50 to 60-40. Thanks All.
I would surmise that by your K80 statement at the conclusion, your not really sure what your POI is. Set it up to shoot 3" high at 13 yds. and work with that setup for awhile unless your really slow and taking the shot near or after the peak. Then speed up additionally.

·
Registered
22,780 Posts
Need to get to at least 80/20 if not 90/10
So. What exactly IS 90/10 and 80/20? How, exactly, do you set it up on, say, a Mossberg 500 or a Stoeger Condor?

Inquiring minds and all that ....

Don T

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
fm, the 60/40, 90/10 is an old notation that most people don't get right. It has nothing to do with pellets above and below the line. I originally meant how much of a stylized 30" was above POA. If the POI is 3" above POA, it is said to be 60/40, because 60% of the area of a 30" pattern was above POA.

It continues from there. 3" high @ 40 yards is 60/40. 6" high is 70/30, 9" high is 80/20, and so on. It really is much simpler to say my pattern in x" above POA ay y distance. There is no confusion.

Setting any gun up is relatively easy. Go to a pattern plate, grease board or whatever you have. Stand with the muzzle 13 yards from the board, just as you would on the line, sight straight down the rib and fire at a point you have marked on the board. Adjust the height of the comb using mole skin or adjustable comb hardware if you have it, so that you POI is exactly the same as your POA. From there on out it is easy. Every 1/8" you raise your comb will raise POI by approximately 4" @ 40 yards. You can even get more exact than that if you care. Measure the distance between your eye and the front bead (or have someone else do it). Remember that number, in inches. To find out how much an adjustment will make, do the following. If interested in 40 yards, divide your eye/bead distance into 1440 (the number of inches in 40 yards) and multiply the result by the amount of change you want to make. Example: you eye/bead distance is 40". You want to know exactly how much of a change raising the comb 1/8" will make. 1440/40 = 36 * .125" = 4.5". So increasing the comb height by 1/8" raises POI by 4.5" @ 40 yards. It raise it by 3/4 of that at 30 yards and half of that at 20 yards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts