Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For no known rational reason I am thinking about obtaining a 16 ga. shotgun. Obviously ammo availability is a concern. I’m certain new shells, when found, would be pretty expensive. And reloading components, specifically wads, I would also think would be scarce and costly. And. . . . . . .I‘d have to find a 16 ga reloader.

Anyone on here reloading 16 ga ?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Did the same thing a couple years ago. I purchased a used 600 jr to reload on. Very little data out there and a lot of what is available in new shells is European. Ballistics products probably has the best selection of 16 ga wads.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I have a Ponsness 375 that I use for 410, 20, 12 and 16. I use mostly Remington and Cheddite hulls for the 16ga. Works great for small batches. Have a 900 and a 800+ with hydraulics for the big runs.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Factory ammo and hulls are scarce and expensive. Wads are available and reasonable (Claybusters). There is more data available at www.16ga.com than at all the powder companies combined. We've been creating and pressure testing our own laods for a couple of decades....everything from 5/8 ounce on up.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ballistic Products usually has a good selection of 16 ga. reloading components. Their SG-16 wads are particularly versatile. The 16ga. Society reloading group has moved to the 24 Hour Campfire and they have a lot of reloading data available. Check it out.

·
Registered
Ljutic
73 Posts
For no known rational reason I am thinking about obtaining a 16 ga. shotgun. Obviously ammo availability is a concern. I’m certain new shells, when found, would be pretty expensive. And reloading components, specifically wads, I would also think would be scarce and costly. And. . . . . . .I‘d have to find a 16 ga reloader.

Anyone on here reloading 16 ga ?
Yes, I love my 16 ga guns and reloading for them. The reloads are better then what I can buy and the new Fiocchi ,Federals, Winchester hulls are terrible to use for reloading, the hull to reload is the old Remington Black hull , if you can find them they will give you 10 plus reloads before splitting, if you load moderate speed loads .

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
I never found factory ammo nor reloading components that difficult to acquire where I live in KS.

I've acquired alot of items, wads mainly through auctions, gun shows and yard sales over the years. Even For Sale internet sites.

New shells can be acquired at my local farm store, hardware store, Wally World, atleast four different gun shops in my area.

Quite honestly, you can find and equally good variety if not better in 16ga than you can 28ga in my area.

·
Premium Member
BT99
141 Posts
Go for it!
Most of my shotguns are 16ga, the latest a Browning Citori Grand Lighting (that I use for Trap doubles), a few SxS and a Remington Model 11 with polychoke.
I bought the MEC 9000 in 16, as I was already using a 12ga.
Definitely join the 16ga society for load info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts