Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an old friend today, and he wanted to shoot some trap. the place closest to him in northern nj is called thunder mountain, we were there last time 3 years ago. I checked their website today, wow, 14 bucks to shoot a round of trap or skeet!!!! it was 9 bucks the last times! plus they get 9.50 for a box of shells. I don't want to bad mouth the place ,but , this is just not right. I told him to come to my club, its a few more miles but ,5 bucks a round is mucho better. anyone know of any ranges that charge such a high fee?

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and see how many round are shot in a day. They may be pricing themselves out of existence.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Not a bad price if they have dancing girls and free beer. If not, look somewhere else. I'm shooting with cousins and son in law this weekend for $2.50 a round with $5 Walmart loads and beer afterwards from the Lucky store.
Mike

·
Registered
956 Posts
Looks like $96 dollars a hundred per person,or $192 for both of you.He must cater to the Lottery winners.
Is he related to Tony Soprano,and next door to the .Badda Bing?.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I was out visiting family in MN and that was what they wanted at a Minneapolis club. We found a place closer that was $5 or so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here in Southern Ontario , most clubs charge $5.00 per round and $8.00 a box for ammo. I guess i,am getting a deal. Cheers RRP

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm sure all the clubs round here are 4.00 everyone pays the same, most shooters know each other anyway, I shoot a couple local ones.
One club that is looking to stay afloat sends out an e-mail, telling everyone they are going to charge 4 bucks for members of other clubs.
They want to put in a new field,new machine, and shoot a day that don't conflict with others to draw the hardcore guys.
A friend shoots there last week, when it was time to settle up the cashier says six dollars a round, word is out they will not get any local shooters.

·
Registered
909 Posts
We are $5.50 for members, $7.50 for non. Went up $.50 last year.

·
Registered
11,914 Posts
They may be pricing themselves out of existence.
Better put "elections have consequences!!"

Whats the one thing driving up costs??? Actually Two!!

Bio-diversity groups funding democrats campaigns: Ban Lead

Democrats: destroy the coal industry(eco-freaks/bio-groups desires)electricity rates will sky-rocket!

OH don't forget the lawyers!! Insurance rates(liability)

Own firearms, vote for a "D", your part of the problem, NOT the solution!

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Metro NYC. Lottsa a money and they're used to overpaying for everything.

Reviews at Yahoo.com were mixed. Those that had shot other places generally gave it poor reviews. Newbies (clueless) thought it was great.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you went to the Greenbrier Resort, $9 a round would be chump change. This is from their website.

2016 TRAP & SKEET
25 Target Rounds
$62* (includes shotgun, shells, safety equipment and vest)
$40* (guest provides own shotgun and shells)

*Gratuity, tax and Historic Preservation Fund are additional. - See more at: The Greenbrier - Gun Club at The Greenbrier

Maybe we could get a few squads together and have a little shoot. After we take out a second mortgage.

·
Premium Member
10,586 Posts
Was I ever at the Greenbrier, and in years past it would have been a possibility, it would have been on someone else's dime anyway.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
It appears they do provide loaner guns. Charge seems to be $45/round for targets and all the needed equipment and ammo. For their market I can see why they can do that.

There are 20 million people residing the NYC metro area. And a lot are rich......very rich. $45, or $180 is nothing for them for a bit of play-time.

You probably don't appreciate just how many rich folks live in NYC Metro, and how rich they are.

I had a cousin that couldn't wait to move out of a very nice town in a rural area and move to NYC to make her fortune. And she made her fortune, the old fashion way, she married it. He was a big wheel in entertainment business. They owned a brownstone in the Upper ##s. I didn't know what a brownstone was nor where the Upper ##s was, but it was said in a manner that suggested this was some very high priced real estate.

They came to family function. I commented on the husband's car. He said it wasn't his car. ?? "I don't have a car." ??? "It's a rental, I rented it for the weekend. I couldn't park a car in my neighborhood for what it cost me to rent that car....even if I rented a car each weekend. I couldn't pay insurance on a car for the price of renting." So how do you get around? "I have limo service to my office and to the airports as a job perk. Everything else we can use taxis or limos." He has a key to the White House too....Abraham Lincoln's secretary's key.

$45, or a $180 is bargain for him to get out of the city and play for a day. He certainly doesn't want to be bothered owning, caring, and keeping a shotgun in the city, or buying ammo. How much would it cost him to go to the Hamptons for a day? Or Atlantic City? Or a NYC five-star restaurant and show for an evening? Or skiing? Or fishing? A day at Thunder Mountain would be cheap in comparison. And there are thousands and thousands and thousands just like him in NYC.

BTW, her brother came back from Vietnam and followed her to NYC to make his fortune too. And he did.....on Wall Street...by age 45, when he retired and moved out of the city.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts