Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Federal 12SO 1oz. wad in a Winchester AA hull, new style?

I'm loading 16.2 of Tite-wad and 1oz of shot.

My concern is the base of the AA hull. I don't know if the base of the Federal wad is compatible with the AA. There seems to be no data that I've found with such a combination.

PM me, if you like with your thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hodgdon has data for your listed componets. For a 7/8 ounce load I tried using the Claybuster clone of the 12SO, CB2100-12 but found that it really bulges the hulls on the Win HS. The bulge is not to bad in the Rem STS and these feed fine in my auto. I switched to the CB 0178-12 for my 7/8 oz loads and the wads don't bulge the hull at all. I would probably try the WAA12SL or windjammer CB wad for 1 oz loads. With the Rem STS hull I use the CB 4100-12B.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
27-T, I've tried that wad in the old AA compression hull and they work OK. I wouldn't even attempt loading that straight hull wad in the new AAs though. Heck, even some of the factory loadings hang up on that infernal lip also and cause off sounding shots? Not my cup O tea at all!

HAP

·
Registered
127 Posts
AA wads are no better in the HS hulls, save yourself some money and use the Claybuster or Duster equivalent of what ever wad you want.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't use those straight wads in the tapered AA's. Use a wad that will be more effective ie. DownRange makes the best. Check out their website. They have the best for AA hulls.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
When 1 ounce target loads first started getting popular (wasn't Daro Handy one of the first promoters?) there were not good wads for them. The best wad/hull available was the Federal 12S3 in a Blue Magic or AAcf. Tom Roster had them tested and popularized that combo. They were safe.

I loaded thousands of that combo. Yeah, they left a little bulge, but so what? The functioned and performed perfectly.

But with all the wads available today there are now many other cheaper options.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I'd use the 12s3 the 12s0 is to tall and your shot will fill the hull when you precrimp. The 12s3 shot cup is lower and works great.

Brady

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I have used the 12S3 in the STS Rem hull, it is a load listed in Lyman #5. The load for Red Dot is 16gr(?) for a 9/8 load and the results are a very good, light recoil load. My first use was in 10°F temperatures and with the Federal primer everything worked just fine. Larry

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
Isn't the diameter of the 12S0 0.716" whereas the diameter of the AA wad is 0.702"?

If this is true, then you are using a wad with too large diameter over-the-powder cup.

WW

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
My measurement was closer to .720" and you are correct about being larger than the interior of the AA hull and it is also larger than the interior dimension of the STS/Rem hull . The Wad is listed for use by the Lyman #5 handbook however for both 1oz and 9/8 loads in both hulls. I have loaded and shot both type hulls using the published data and had no issues with performance or load. I did note however while the loading operation was no different with the Rem hulls the old style AA I load require a lot more pressure to insert the wad. There is a noticeable expansion of the Rem hull near the base and while not so noticeable on the AA wad it is still present. I suspect the difference in appearance is due to fact the old AA hull has a much stronger plastic......... Larry

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The 12S0, 12S3, and 12S4 wads are made for straight walled hulls. I usually don't use wads for tapered hulls in a straight hull, nor do I usually use wads intended for straight wall hulls in tapered hulls. That applies especially for the new Win AA HS type hulls. Just because there is a load listed using a particular combination, does not always mean it will work well for everyone. It might be safe, but might have other issues due to the misfit wads.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
And it you don't try it you never know..... The load listed in Lyman #5 is one thing for sure, a very mild recoil load. It is strong enough to cycle my semi automatic and breaks the birds.... It was fun to try but is not something I will shoot.. Larry

·
Premium Member
11,725 Posts
I have used a 12S0 wad in a Remington hull and it worked fine.

Not sure how it would work in the new AA hulls with the base wad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts