Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was younger hanging out with dad a the club I rember my dads buddys loading up some black powder shells to play pranks on fellow shooters. Any buddy got a good safe load for WinAAs wouldnt mind messing with some of my younger hot shot shooters.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
You going to break down their gun and clean that stuff up after you get your laugh?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Pretty easy. Prime with a 'hot' primer like the Fed 209A, dump in 70 grain (volume measure) Pyrodex RS or 2F black powder if you can get it, use a red Winchester wad (or similar wad with short collapsing section, add 1 1/8 Oz shot. I use to make these up in quantity for the SASS game. The fouling will include long shards of plastic residue but it comes out readily with a patch on a good jag using armor all as the solvent. Lots of smoke and a deep boom report but the rounds do pattern well enough to break targets, velocity seems to be in that 1100 fps range.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty easy. Prime with a 'hot' primer like the Fed 209A, dump in 70 grain (volume measure) Pyrodex RS or 2F black powder if you can get it, use a red Winchester wad (or similar wad with short collapsing section, add 1 1/8 Oz shot. I use to make these up in quantity for the SASS game. The fouling will include long shards of plastic residue but it comes out readily with a patch on a good jag using armor all as the solvent. Lots of smoke and a deep boom report but the rounds do pattern well enough to break targets, velocity seems to be in that 1100 fps range.
Thanks now I know what powder to look for

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
wolfram, I used to do the same as you did,shooting under lights really made it interesting.you had to wait for the smoke to clear to see if you broke the target.
jack mc

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
I would strongly suggest you rethink this. I guess I'm as much for a good practical joke as the next guy. However, I also witnessed some of my Dad's cronies pulling this prank in past years. Many times it damn near ended in a fist fight.

And ...... You should also reconsider based on the difficulty of completely removing the corrosive affect of black powder. I value my guns too much to allow this to happen to them. Even the lower dollar guns I own. DISCUSSING THE "safety factor" might also be a powerful reason to reconsider. Look up the definition of "kaboom."

YMMV

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
That really sounds pretty Friggin Stupid. But KIDS without Good Commonsense will continue to prove to me just how Stupid some folks can be. If some idiot were to try that one on me they might find me chambering one of my rounds and then unloading it in their Ass. That being said I like a Good Prank as well as anyone.but this goes well beyond a Good Prank. JMO

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Those black rounds are spectacular in low light Cactus Jack. I didn't realize just how much fireworks there were until I watched some videos of one our SASS matches that was shot in the evening. Looked like roman candles going off!

As far as the mark of a prank getting their panties wadded up, I guess that depends on what kind of sports there are (or not). The bp round itself is not much to worry about, it wont hunt the gun and it is easy enough to clean up.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Brent has no sense of humor. He would shoot someone in the ass for a prank? I don't like to shoot with people who would say they might shoot me, even if I have been incredibly stupid.

Mike

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My experience with that type of load was an unbelievable mess. Shot it in an old hammer gun. The back end of that plastic wad is melting as it goes down the barrel due to the nature of black powder. Better when done with cork and felt wads.

·
Registered
14,144 Posts
Be prepared to pay for repair or replacement when the shooter drops their gun out of surprise.

Be prepared to pay for medical costs and a lawyer if your "messing around" loads cause someones gun to fail.

Be prepared for a lawsuit if the shooter claims permanent hearing damage from your "prank".

Couldn't possibly think of a worse "prank" to pull on someone with a gun when a controlled explosion is going on inches from their face.

It someone did what you are proposing to me I would demand they be thrown off the property and permanently barred from coming back, or I would refuse to ever return to that club.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Ya know, I opened this thread just to see how the responses were going. The black powder load is an old gag in clay target shooting.
Based on some of the responses I read, it's no surprise that we also have a current thread going over in the political section, wherein some are looking for America... Wondering where she went.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Good grief guys, it's not dangerous at all. At least, not the actual loading and shooting of the shell. First, BP cleans up with hot water and soap. That's it, just hot water and a little soap. dry the bore and then oil. Wipe down the face place and receiver with a damp cloth and oil. As to pressure, it's less than most smokeless loads and really cannot exceed 10K psi. So BP is not going to ruin a gun or explode or do anything ugly.

Now is it a good idea to screw with another guys gun? Not in my book. Kinda like screwing with his wife. However if you were to light one off in your gun at an evening shoot you will most certainly get some attention and some gaping jaws. Be advised though, many clubs have rules against BP shells. Play at your own risk.

Don't use Pyrodex. Triple 7, Clear Shot or that new stuff from GOEX are far better choices. If you do use Pyrodex, DO NOT use Hoppes or any other ammonia solvent to clean the gun. It will cause flash rust and pit your bore without cleaning the residue in the least. All of these clean up with just soap and water. How do I know, not only am I an NRA certified BP instructor, I'm a 40 year veteran of BP shooting in shotguns, muzzle loaders and rifles.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've heard of guys making a "red dot" bomb had one guy tell me the recipe. Fed paper with a win primer and red dot filled to the top and crimp it...........never tried it never will and I would kick the guys ass trying to set that off in my F3.........

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've heard of guys making a "red dot" bomb had one guy tell me the recipe. Fed paper with a win primer and red dot filled to the top and crimp it...........never tried it never will and I would kick the guys ass trying to set that off in my F3.........
Not a chance on trying that one

1 - 20 of 20 Posts