Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting Into reloading by myself. I have always done it with my grandfather. However I was wondering if anyone ever used Alliant Steel Powder with the AA hulls you can buy at the sporting good stores. With Fed 209A primer. I'm curious to as how much grains of powder and bushing number you used . I'm having trouble finding the necessary wads to use in them. I know better than to stick wads in for lead shot when I will be using steel since I mainly hunt ducks and geese.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Look at PUBLISHED loads, If its not listed ---------pass on experimenting.

You can contact powder manufacturers for load advice and data,

DGH

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Be careful with Steel Powder. Most of the older Steel Powder load data is way over pressure with the newer lots of Steel Powder.

I sent some Hevi-Shot Steel Powder loads off to be tested using some older published Steel Powder data and they were way over pressure. I lowered the powder charge from 35 gr of Steel Powder down to 31 gr of Steel powder and sent them off to be tested and they averaged 12,563 PSI. So more than a 10% drop in powder and the loads were still over 1,000 psi over Max.

Some of the data Alliant shows for Hevi-Shot Steel Powder loads have way more powder than what I am having tested. I don't see how they could possibly be under Max pressure with the amount of powder they are showing.

Many of the guys reloading Steel Powder on Duck Hunting Chat Forums are loading 10% less Steel Powder than what the data shows.

I am waiting on the results of some more test loads right now. I should get the results within a day or two.

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
I'm getting Into reloading by myself. I have always done it with my grandfather. However I was wondering if anyone ever used Alliant Steel Powder with the AA hulls you can buy at the sporting good stores. With Fed 209A primer. I'm curious to as how much grains of powder and bushing number you used . I'm having trouble finding the necessary wads to use in them. I know better than to stick wads in for lead shot when I will be using steel since I mainly hunt ducks and geese.

Thanks,
Ballistic Products will be your best source of wads for the intended application. Precision Reloading has some also.

Most non to hunting loads utilize a straight wall case as they build pressures slower.

BP also has specialized manuals available for purchase.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would get the book sold by Ballistic Products titled, Status Of Steel. It has very good info and need to knows on loading steel it also has a big section of load data. Get the book and read it before buying anymore components. Pick what load data you want to use a purchase the components to match.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts