Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reloaded rifle ammo for decades but am new to reloading shotgun shells. From everything I have read, most people are loading for gauges below a 12. I may end up doing that in the future but wanted to ask everyone to post their favorite 12 gauge TSS recipe so I can buy the right components the first time. I am primarily interested in a load for large ducks and wild roosters. If it matters, I am using a SBE3 with 28" barrel and a choke that can handle TSS. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I am under the impression that I can load 1 ounce of #9 for upland and switch to 1 ounce of 7 or 8 if I want to hunt geese - is that okay as long as the weight of the payload is the same or do I need to switch other components of a given recipe? Thanks everybody!

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
When ‘Derby Acres Bob’ finds this thread he’ll fix you up with some info.
He knows A LOT about that stuff !

You might try the search function and find what you’re looking for ? I’m sure sumthin will pop up.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
ALW, I just sent you a message. If anybody wants to see the 12 ga 1 oz TSS load data sheet for a Federal Gold Medal hull just send me your e-mail address in a PM or "Conversation"

Quite a few guys load steel shot and TSS shot duplex loads so they don't have to use so much TSS shot. They are basically using the steel shot as filler.

If you loaded 3/4 oz of TSS shot and 1/4 oz steel shot with one pound of TSS shot you could load 21.3 duplex-ed loads compared to 16 one ounce TSS loads.

With a 50% and 50% duplex load with TSS #9 shot "178 pellets" and 50% #2 steel shot "61 pellets" for a total of 239 pellets per shell, you could make 32 TSS duplex loads with one pound of TSS shot and one pound of steel shot.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics
1400 fps steel #2 shot gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 44.9 yards.
1400 fps TSS #9 shot gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 72.0 yards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ALW, I just sent you a message. If anybody wants to see the 12 ga 1 oz TSS load data sheet for a Federal Gold Medal hull just send me your e-mail address in a PM or "Conversation"

Quite a few guys load steel shot and TSS shot duplex loads so they don't have to use so much TSS shot. They are basically using the steel shot as filler.

If you loaded 3/4 oz of TSS shot and 1/4 oz steel shot with one pound of TSS shot you could load 21.3 duplex-ed loads compared to 16 one ounce TSS loads.

With a 50% and 50% duplex load with TSS #9 shot "178 pellets" and 50% #2 steel shot "61 pellets" for a total of 239 pellets per shell, you could make 32 TSS duplex loads with one pound of TSS shot and one pound of steel shot.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics
1400 fps steel #2 shot gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 44.9 yards.
1400 fps TSS #9 shot gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 72.0 yards.
Do you have TSS 1oz loads for trap 1150fos

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
It would probably be extremely hard to do a one ounce tss load in 12 ga due to the small volume that an ounce of it would take up. I have done a 11/8 in a 23/4” 20ga using the PT2090 wad with several felts as fillers. But good luck to you.
Thanks for the help…..not

1 - 11 of 11 Posts