Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have some good recipes for 12 ga. Loads using Alliant 20/28 powder? I’m using AA hulls.
Thank you

Ken Cerney Wisconsin

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I was rather surprised that this powder could be used for 12 ga loads. However, the charts list loads for both 1 1/4 oz and 1 oz. This powder is in such short supply down here in the south that I have not been able to get any for my 20 and 28 ga loads. I am having to use Green Dot and thank goodness it is working ok. Jackie B.

·
2,755 Posts
I'd never thought about this powder for 12ga loads till a poster here (sorry, I don't recall who) said it was a good handicap powder.

During "The Great Powder Shortage of 2013," I bought two 4lb jugs and it did work fine. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Fortunately, for me at least, the shortage is over and I have a good quantity of Clays and PB now.

Still have the second unopened 4lb jug of 20/28 which I guess I will save for another rainy day.

Bob

·
Registered
219 Posts
ken, try the alliant web site as sugested above. 21.5 gr. is what i use but u may need a fed primer to light it in the cold. very low pressure. 2028 will replace pb in the near furture just wait and see, razor

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have used it for a couple of years now, and came across it in my pursuit of trying to reduce the number of different components on hand. I use only Remington hulls but there are loads for AA hulls on the Alliant site and I believe they are in the Alliant book as well. I use 20/28 almost exclusively because it is fairly versatile and gives me a singles load and caps load with the same components. There are no published loads for anything less than 1200fps to my knowledge. For a handicap load, I use 23grs in a Remington hull (GC,GL,STS,N27 etc) with a Win 209, and a figure 8 wad which is published to produce 1250fps. They chrono 1260fps on average with avg deviation of 12-15fps. I mainly load 22grs with the same components for a published 1200fps. They chrono on avg. 1230 with a similar deviation. These muzzle velocities are from a 34 inch barrel. A 30 inch barrel will chrono very close to the published velocity. I shoot them in temps from mid 90's down to mid 20's with no noticeable problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts