Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im loading on a MEC Grabber light 12 ga AA hulls 7/8 oz with correct CB wads, measured shot and powder. Loading Alliant extra-lite powder. Chrono the load 12-1210 fps. My once fired loads are absolutely perfect! My second and third fired reloads look great off the machine, but i noticed yday that some of the crimps bulging when i take them out of the container later to shoot them. Is this just hulls getting weak or could I use a little xtra precrimp for the older hulls.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Im loading on a MEC Grabber light 12 ga AA hulls 7/8 oz with correct CB wads, measured shot and powder. Loading Alliant extra-lite powder. Chrono the load 12-1210 fps. My once fired loads are absolutely perfect! My second and third fired reloads look great off the machine, but i noticed yday that some of the crimps bulging when i take them out of the container later to shoot them. Is this just hulls getting weak or could I use a little xtra precrimp for the older hulls.
What correct wad? By load height or by manual?

Wad is being compressed upon loading. Crimp area is strong enough on once fired but to weak on succeeding loads to retain wad at a compressed state.

Solution:shorter wad.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the claybuster 0178 grey wad im using. Only saw a few bulging after they sat in truck after loading a few hours earlier (2nd/3rd reload hulls). Im not doing anything different than the once fired run of reloads. They once fired reloads last week held great. They were loaded a week prior to shooting.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Its the claybuster 0178 grey wad im using. Only saw a few bulging after they sat in truck after loading a few hours earlier (2nd/3rd reload hulls). Im not doing anything different than the once fired run of reloads. They once fired reloads last week held great. They were loaded a week prior to shooting.
I can't help you further as I don't/haven't loaded any Extra Lite. But what you describe is usually caused from what I stated. Maybe someone familiar with the powder can help get you on the right track.

Isn't Extra Lite a real fine powder?

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Extra-Lite is not a dense powder, you will get much better results if you use the wad that is designed for a one oz. load. Here is the reason, the WWAAHS-12 hull has a smaller capacity interior than most other 12 ga hulls. Loads that work in the much older WWAA-CF hulls perfectly, may tend to tent up after they sit a while. All the loads listed on all the sites and books are for the CF hull. They are said to be safe in the HS hull, but that does not mean that they fit properly. Many people that use the HS hull will go to the next larger wad to get a good fit. You have also incorporated the fluffier Extra-Lite powder which increases the fitting difficulty so you are even better off using the one oz wad.
Buy one bag of the wads and make a test batch, I think you will be pleased.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No sure. Im a newer reloader. Only experience i have had is with 20/28 and the extra lite. It was only a few that bulged after reload. Maybe 3-4/100. Im probably overthinking it. They didn’t leak shot. Im still learning. Ive shot and coached a lot but the reloading thing im still learning

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I prob overreacted to the issue. I left the other 50 i loaded fri in my truck. The south ala heat today kickn so we went late this pm and shot a couple rounds. Only found 2 out of that 50 that were a little bulged a little. On really close inspection they are split on each crimp a little. It honestly could just be that they have made a reload or two more than i thought as i was loading a few small batches to chrono as I tweeked the grains of powder drop. Im new to reloading and just want to do it right. Honestly didn’t know it was ok to use the 1oz clay buster 1100 wads for a 7/8 load. I haven’t felt comfortable to experiment much. I will say that my son and i really like the lil 7/8 oz 12 ga. Shot sporting last weekend with it and both shot high 80’s, skeet tday was 24/25. Such a mild recoil but it really hits birds hard. Loaded with 8.5 shot.

·
Premium Member
5,907 Posts
Actually I prob overreacted to the issue. I left the other 50 i loaded fri in my truck. The south ala heat today kickn so we went late this pm and shot a couple rounds. Only found 2 out of that 50 that were a little bulged a little. On really close inspection they are split on each crimp a little. It honestly could just be that they have made a reload or two more than i thought as i was loading a few small batches to chrono as I tweeked the grains of powder drop. Im new to reloading and just want to do it right. Honestly didn’t know it was ok to use the 1oz clay buster 1100 wads for a 7/8 load. I haven’t felt comfortable to experiment much. I will say that my son and i really like the lil 7/8 oz 12 ga. Shot sporting last weekend with it and both shot high 80’s, skeet tday was 24/25. Such a mild recoil but it really hits birds hard. Loaded with 8.5 shot.
The fact that your loads tented after being left in the truck on a hot day, when the heat would soften the plastic a bit, indicates might be collapsing the wads crush section a bit. A collapsed wad will exert upward pressure on the crimp and when the plastic gets softened a bit from the head, it will cause the crimp to push upwards. See what happens when using the 1 oz. wads.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had the same problem with AA HS hulls, the crimp was popping with the grey wad. Switched to the 1oz pink and no problems. There is published data for extra lite and 1 oz wad so give it a try.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Agree with waverider Jason. I can use tightwad with the grey wad no problems as it takes a smaller bushing in my Mec 9000. But bulkier powders like red dot combined with the grey wad and the crimps will pop up.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I use the gray wad with Xtra Lite without any problems but are running them at 1150 to 1175 FPS range. They can sit in my hot car without any tenting or other problems. Like others have said you can use the one ounce wads and I have tried to see what they would look like.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
LOL I sort of have a scheme to get thru the "crimp softening" phenomena of multi reloads. First reload or 3 the pink XXL wad works great (and this is just a great patterning load in my browning), then go to a grey claybuster for a few more loads, then finally to pink claybuster when the gray wad reload starts pooching. This is necessary for me using MEC #29 bushing and AA HS empties. This load is so low pressure it is unbelievable how many times you can reload those AAs.

K

·
Premium Member
5,907 Posts
LOL I sort of have a scheme to get thru the "crimp softening" phenomena of multi reloads. First reload or 3 the pink XXL wad works great (and this is just a great patterning load in my browning), then go to a grey claybuster for a few more loads, then finally to pink claybuster when the gray wad reload starts pooching. This is necessary for me using MEC #29 bushing and AA HS empties. This load is so low pressure it is unbelievable how many times you can reload those AAs.

K
You put a 7/8 oz. wad in the HS hull with 1 oz. of shot? No wonder you are having issues. You might cut one open to see how much the crush section of the wad is collapsed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use the gray wad with Xtra Lite without any problems but are running them at 1150 to 1175 FPS range. They can sit in my hot car without any tenting or other problems. Like others have said you can use the one ounce wads and I have tried to see what they would look like.
How many grains are u dropping?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts