Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently gotten a keg of Titewad as part of a trade. I am looking for some good 7/8 oz loads for this powder. I normally load Clays in STS hulls with CB wads.

·
Registered
310 Posts
J,
With Gun Club hulls, Fiocchi primers, Claybuster CBO17812 (Gray) wad and 7/8 oz of shot I use a #28 bushing in a MEC that drops about 17.4 grains of TiteWad. Using it for league trap (22 yards max) and sporting clays, nice load for me. My 7/8 oz bar actually only drops about 360 grains of shot so it is quite lite . Dale

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use that load almost, for trap. Federal top gun, 7/8 oz #8 shot actually 388 g's but that's what it takes to get a proper crimp with my Sizemaster or Grabber with #27 mec bushing that drops 17g's of Twad, and any primer that fits the hull. Winchester or cci to start with but as the primer pockets enlarge I move up to Chedite or Nobel and then on to Fiocchi and Rio primers. It's a nice clean burn in the BT-99 with 34 inch barrel but a tad dirty in the shorter 28 inch Citari. Seems like it's even worse in shorter barrels. Needs more powder for them to burn clean.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you MG. I am recoil intolerant so I do realize I may be a tad light but they shoot just fine in both the BT and the Citari although the shorter barrel seems to burn a tad dirty. Occasionally I will get a pookie sounding report out of the shorter barrelled shotguns. I will have to put the chronograph to my loads real soon as last time this happened that's what the problem was, not enough powder for complete combustion to occur and hence the pookie report. Might need 18 grains or more of powder for the 28 inch barrel Citari?
Regards, Fencepost.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thus why Hodgdon has the starting load at 18.7.
It'll get worse in colder weather too.
Their data represents consistent performance and safety.
If you bump that charge a bit, you'll probably get rid of those bloopers.
Not wanting to start a flame war, just a suggestion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No worries. As I said I'm very re-coil intolerant, hence the less than stated powder charges. Every little bit seems to help. I get a complete burn on the 34 inch barrel resulting in a very clean barrel but with the same charge in the 28 inch Citari it's okay but not as immaculate as in the 34 incher. It's well within the realm of acceptability, except for the occasional "blooper". They seem to bother others more than they do me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts