Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine is having 1187 trouble. He went through 3 new ones and then I loaned him one of mine that has only a couple hundred shells through it. He shoots no cheap shells and all 3 inch hunting loads Rem and Winchester. The problem is the gun fires the first shell and closes on an empty chamber, the second stays in the mag. Seems its not coming back with enough force to work The guns are immaculately clean New barrel seals. Break free is hi normal lube and then tried Rem-oil. My gun has never failed me but was not used in these single digit temps. Any help, Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sounds like a gas seal problem. Did it ever work? The first thing I would try is a barrel from one that functions.
I shoot an 1187 for Skeet and I shoot it with 1oz loads in single digit temps with no problems.
Will it work with 2&3/4" Loads?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
look at the magazine. if the shell is hanging up on something in there it has no shell to feed to the chamber. If it is ejecting and not short shucking it's going back all the way. Broken/weak spring in the tube? Bill

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Single digit temps?

You need a low viscosity oil for such cold temps.

Liquid Break Free is too thick (I only used it in hot weather), and spray Break Free probably is too at those temps (I use it the rest of the year unless temps get below 20 degrees). Dunno about Rem Oil, I have not used it on my 1187s.

I use LAW oil for cold conditions. It's a military issue oil I picked up surplus. (LAW = Light Arctic Weapons oil.) Have used it on my 1187s down to 0 degrees with no problems.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Is it possible he disassembled it, and reassembled it with the rings incorrectly placed?

Or maybe he removed the gas cylinder spring for some reason and its bleeding off too much gas.

You should also try shooting the gun with NO lube on the mag tube. I'm a fan of oil on the mag tube in decent conditions, but when its in the single digits, the oil is going to get gummy and cause more issues than it prevents.

If the same thing has happening with 4 different guns, its not the guns. Its the shells (which I can't imagine being the problem using 3" mags) or the shooter.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
If 4 guns in a row haven't worked, it's not the gun's fault. I'm guessing he is assembling it incorrectly. Have you been there when it hasn't worked? I have lost track of the times I have fixed an 1100/11-87 at the range by reinstalling incorrectly installed gas rings. Mark

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Also make sure the gaps in the rings are opposite of each other. If lined up they'll bleed too much gas off.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not had any of the guns in my hands other than my own. He has been shooting 1100's and 1187's on and off for over 40 years.When I gave him mine it was 100% clean and rings in the right order. He even ran 5 shells through it at home before hunting. I will talk to him tonight. Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Any chance there is a bunch of grease under the front of the shell stop that restricts movement of that spring part when the lube gets really cold?

Kind of weird that what ever is going on is happening with multiple guns. That suggests something the owner is doing. You do know that these guns are designed to be run dry (no lube) right? Mine even had a sticker on the gas piston to that effect.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Sounds like the disconnector tab on the trigger assembly isn't tripping the interceptor latch on the inside of the receiver. The interceptor is that little pivoting latch.
That tab on the trigger is supposed to hit the interceptor which releases the shell from the magazine. Make sure it is pivoting freely. It's possible the disconnector got bent a liitle. You may have to bend it outward a little.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got off the phone with my buddy, The rings are rin the right position.He wasn't sure if the ring slots were lined up ,so he is going to make sure, he is going to run it dry tomorrow morning. Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
He has to hold the gun tight to his shoulder. If he doesn't it will do that every time. Nothing wrong with the guns, he has to pull it in tight when he shoots!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
On the 1187 there is a ring on the outside of the barrel that fits over the gas holes. This ring is kind of half moon looking and is on the part of the barrel that slides on to the magazine tube and is under the forearm. I am not talking about the 2 rings that slide on the tube or the o-ring. This piece is on the outside. If that is off or out of place it will not function correctly. Some people take this off and try to clean it and then don't put it back on.

I was at Cabela's one day and a guy came in with his 1187 saying it would not function properly. The Cabela's guy took the forearm off and I noticed that ring was gone and told him what the issue was. He didn't know what it looked like so I went to the rack and pulled out a used 1187 and took the forearm off it and it was gone also. We had to pull 2 more off the used rack before we found one that had all the parts on it. The picture below should show that ring provided I was able to post the picture correctly.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have shot thousands of rounds from the hip, that's not the problem.I think the opposite put in an old used spring to make it have more energy to work the action. Jeff

·
Registered
76 Posts
the first thing I would try is removing the trigger group and replace with one that is known to work replace the gas seal and make sure the gas piston is installed properly also being that this is an 1187 make sure the gas shield is installed most of the time an 1100 or 1187 doesn't pick up the second shell its related to the trigger group or bolt not fully cycling

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
There is a piece in the receiver area that has to be bradded into place , if the leading point of this piece gets bent from use, it will cause exactly what you are describing. The pieces function is to control the next shell from the magazine, do not know name of the part, but a good gun smith should see this right away.

This is why I no longer shoot my 1187 for volume shooting.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
It's called the feed latch, and I have never seen four guns in a row with a bad feed latch. Something else is going on here. Mark

1 - 20 of 39 Posts