Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I notice an age related fact looking at the high scores: There are not many Senior Vets shooting real high Handicap scores but Junior Gold shooters are really doing well in all events.
The heat and humidity played a big part in that today. No air at all moving when my squad shot today. We lost one of our squad members on the third house. It was just more than he could take.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
I was wondering if it seems pointless after a while, but then I realized that a 98 or 99 still gets you All-American points if you are chasing them. The top 3 scores in each category earn points abd the bigger the shoot the more points awarded. Most of the people with the 100s, 99s, or 98s won’t win anything but they will earn points.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
My first 200 at the Grand in Vandalia Oh., there were 71 - 200...On wed. the clay bird championship it was windy and we only had 51 -200.Those were the days of the 3 hole target.

Reactions: Ron Burdick

·
Registered
72 Posts
If I counted correctly, there were 118 folks who went 100 straight at the Grand in today's singles event., sponsored by MEC.

I don't even know what to say about this, but it seems like a really high number. Was this level of achievement happening 20, 30, or 40 years ago?
that’s the whole reason I not a fan of American Trap. Too many people are able to run it. Go shoot a 125 in International Trap, then you have something to get excited about

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is fun to see how many D shooters get a 98 or better.😂
It is the math. At a big shoot there will be many "D" shooters and it is certain that a few will have a good day or their best day ever. At the biggest shoots, classses are irrelevant. It is going to take high 90's or 100 to have high probability of placing 1, 2, or 3 in any class.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It means we need to go back to three hole targets?
Agree, several years back. I was talking with the manager at the largest club in my area. We got on the subject of target setting. I told him that for my part we should go back to 3 hole targets, did I get a surprised look. Nothing has changed & don’t think it will. The fact remains that the best shooters will have the top scores, even if the shot charge is lowered to 1oz. A change back to the 1200 fps. standard may make a difference?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i only starred shooting trap 10 yrs ago (started late as I’m in my late 50’s now) and remember all the old-timers talking about how to sandbag in tournaments and in their ATA classification. Having lower classes allows you and coming shooters the opportunity to compete without getting humiliated. Unfortunately I learned the hard way by getting crushed by sand baggers.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think the Grand is a representation of the Talent across the USA and they all cumulate once a year here so the scores don’t surprise me…. I’m in my second year of this sport understand what you gotta do to win. Break ‘em all….

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I counted correctly, there were 118 folks who went 100 straight at the Grand in today's singles event., sponsored by MEC.

I don't even know what to say about this, but it seems like a really high number. Was this level of achievement happening 20, 30, or 40 years ago?

In 1995 the ATA went from 2 hole to three hole. I broke my first 200 straight. Prior to that I had two 100 straights. My average was .9500. There were 5 200s that day, 2 resident, 3 non-resident. We shot off and I won breaking 25 in the first round against two of the very best shooters in the country. The very next year we were back in the 2 hole. I didn't break another 200 for 10 years, but that was just me.
The fact remains that the best shooters win no matter what the conditions. Sometimes you get lucky. When it's your day it's your day.
Many things have changed over the years. Guns, shells, targets, trap machines, pullers to CVR systems have all played a part in the advancement of the sport. In the end it all comes down to the shoot-off. Who ever has done the work, paid their dues and has the talent will win. Some days dreams do come true but usually theres a lot of work invloved and a little luck.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I was about to comment the same thing. It would be interesting to know the number of 99s and 100s by Class, as I would suspect that 50%+ of the 99s and 100s were in D class given the way people manage their posted averages.

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
So what the advocates of 3 hole targets are always apparently clueless of is this, the wider angle will not significantly effect AAA/AAbonafide 27yd shooters.

It will substantially effect the D, C and to a degree B shooters along with the short yardage shooters.

Your not going to contrive a fair/just format that allows a 90 average shooter to beat a 99 average shooter.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
So what the advocates of 3 hole targets are always apparently clueless of is this, the wider angle will not significantly effect AAA/AAbonafide 27yd shooters.

It will substantially effect the D, C and to a degree B shooters along with the short yardage shooters.

Your not going to contrive a fair/just format that allows a 90 average shooter to beat a 99 average shooter.
You are right. True AAA/AA shooters will always shoot well. I would argue the number would drop off from what we are seeing this year, but yes...it still would happen and the best will always be the best.

BUT...

What a tougher target will allow is for the B and lower shooters to travel to the Grand, spend a stupid amount of money to do so, and actually have a shot of winning something in their proper class without having to shoot a 100 or 99 in order for that to happen. A true B/C/D shooter can shoot for years (and maybe forever) without going 100 straight. If the expectation is that the individuals in lower classes will keep coming year after year knowing that they have to shoot a 100 to win their class-not the event....that's prob not gonna happen.

I highly doubt any B or lower class shooter consistently goes to the Grand thinking they are going to win a singles event outright against hundreds of AA and AAA shooters.

Reactions: tj303
41 - 60 of 61 Posts