Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
If I counted correctly, there were 118 folks who went 100 straight at the Grand in today's singles event., sponsored by MEC.

I don't even know what to say about this, but it seems like a really high number. Was this level of achievement happening 20, 30, or 40 years ago?
Back in Vandalia days we had a couple years where there were 80 plus 200 straights. But there were more shooters by far.

I would say 14% breaking a 100 on a calm day this time of the year could be considered normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very impressive to see this many good scores. How do you compete, shoot this kind of score! that's how. If you can't compete with these scores is why they have local matches. This match is the Superbowl of trap. Have a good time locally, admire those with these awesome skills and don't be angry about it. Have a good time for you and only you. If your bothered or not having a good time just move on to something else. No shortage of challenges that involve primers...........

·
Vendor
1,479 Posts
I'm sure a lot of parents are wearing their credit cards out.. this is probably unsustainable
I stood behind a young lady and her mother in squadding yesterday at Grand. She advised her mom that this shoot had 2600 targets she(her mom) had to pay for. I later saw this young lady shoot a 98 in Doubles. I talked to another mom with her son that I had seen at the WV State shoot. This young man shot a 100 in singles, 99 in cap (27 yd line) and 98 in doubles. She said her son had just started dating and really didn’t want to be there as he wanted to get back home. I think Paul in VA is correct. While parents fund shooting this will continue. After that, who knows?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The cream of the crop is at the grand, and cream always rises to the top and always will, good shooting guys and gals

·
Registered
53 Posts
I shot a lot of ATA targets back when I was a sub junior and junior in the mid 80s. Once I found girls it was all over. 35 years later I can now afford it and have enough vacation to travel. Reflexes and eyes are no where near what they were when I gave it up back then. Maybe some will stick with it, but I see this story repeated over and over within the shooting sports arena.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
ok - so what is 3-hole?
On the old Winchester Western White Flyer Trap machine, there is an oscillating disc with a series of numbered holes that dictate maximum angle of targets.
Targets used to be set on #3 hole giving 22 degrees either side of centre, as old guys will remember.
Currently, targets would be set on #2 hole for narrower maximum angles of 17 degrees either side of centre.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Changing angles will not have that big an impact. Run a wobble league. Within a few weeks everyone is shooting wobble as good as they shot singles.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
The cream of the crop is at the grand, and cream always rises to the top and always will, good shooting guys and gals
Don't forget scum also rises to the top! LOL

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I notice an age related fact looking at the high scores: There are not many Senior Vets shooting real high Handicap scores but Junior Gold shooters are really doing well in all events.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts