Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I counted correctly, there were 118 folks who went 100 straight at the Grand in today's singles event., sponsored by MEC.

I don't even know what to say about this, but it seems like a really high number. Was this level of achievement happening 20, 30, or 40 years ago?

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Good shooting for sure! The best of the best in Grand attendance! Is this considered competitive or endurance?
When I went to be classified at the Grand while in my perennial "C" class, the classfier apologetically (almost) said he would have to "penalize" me to a higher class due to insufficent targets. I told him he could put me in AAA - I wouldn't mind - you have to break 'em all anyway in singles - and I knew that wasn't too likely....

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Yup-

go back to tree hole targets.

That may even cause an INCREASE in shooters participating in the events!

Why (other than visiting vendors) would I spend HUGE amount of money and time to go there and compete against that kind of scores?

Maybe they should take lesson from the Sporting Clays guys....No perfect scores and increasing numbers of shooters.

Just my 2 cents...

Paul in Virginia

·
Registered
578 Posts
When i started to shoot in the mid 70's I thought we did shoot a harder target, the 3 hole. Am I correct? Approx. when did it change. The weather was really nice today at the Grand I thought. Slight breeze, overcast and not so hot. Tent vendors really got hit with that storm/strong winds.
Back in the day at Vandalia, I remember my friends the late Pat Owens and ''Pappy'' Webb were setting targets. They set them at 3 hole and 50 yards. Remember also they had NO voice calls.
I watched Bonnialls break a lone 100 on the pre caps and take home $30,000

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
When its all done, a Junior,or "Junior Gold" will be the winner.

Better eyes, reflexes and parents paying the entry fees and the K-80 with Wenig custom $5000 stock.

Just got my Trap&Field and saw a SUB-JUNIOR winner with a K-80 and Wenig Custom stock at a big shoot!!!

Don't get me wrong,I'm glad to see new blood....But how does an ADULT compete against that?

(Adults have jobs, bills,mortages,families,car payments, taxes,college expenses, braces for the kids, etc....)

SubJuniors and Junior Golds DON'T !

I hope at least a few of them keep competing. History shows them and "Rookies of the Year" won't after they discover girls and have to pay themselves!!!

Paul in Virginia

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
There were 17 pages of scores. It took until page 16 to get out of the 90's and it took until page 13 to get below 95. Congrats to those who conquered such competition.

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
No voice calls back then and the scorer also pulled the target for you, slow pulls were very common.
Not sure the current generation is capable of doing both considering how bad some of the scorers have been where I shot this year.
The 3 hole and more speed I would think certainly should change the numbers, quantity, of perfect scores but it will never happen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When its all done, a Junior,or "Junior Gold" will be the winner.

Better eyes, reflexes and parents paying the entry fees and the K-80 with Wenig custom $5000 stock.

Just got my Trap&Field and saw a SUB-JUNIOR winner with a K-80 and Wenig Custom stock at a big shoot!!!

Don't get me wrong,I'm glad to see new blood....But how does an ADULT compete against that?

(Adults have jobs, bills,mortages,families,car payments, taxes,college expenses, braces for the kids, etc....)

SubJuniors and Junior Golds DON'T !

I hope at least a few of them keep competing. History shows them and "Rookies of the Year" won't after they discover girls and have to pay themselves!!!

Paul in Virginia
I'm sure a lot of parents are wearing their credit cards out.. this is probably unsustainable

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The best shooters will still break the majority of winning scores, regardless of how difficult the targets are presented. Average shooters breaking 98 singles will drop to 90 or 92 and still get beat. The ONLY thing 3 hole 50 mph targets will do is discourage a lot of shooters. You just can’t beat talent. And IMO there’s more of it today than at any previous time period.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts