Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I live in N. IL and it seems like every 1970's 1100 I see is going for $ 500-600.00. Is there some crazy new demand for them? I recall a few years ago they were $ 300-400.00 all day long.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I think that the Jack West stocks and the Competition model with those
same stocks and the Autobuster recoil system being sold by Remington have rekindled interest in the Remington 1100.

I switched to an 1100 with a Jack West stock from a Beretta 391 which I had shot for the last 8 years. It's a 70's gun - the same model (but not the same actual gun) that I shot in the 70's. It fits me better and I'm shooting it better than the 391 I had. If you look at the current price of Beretta 391's and 400's they've gotten outrageous.

Another factor is the plethora of available used barrels and triggers for the 1100- especially release triggers - available at very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another factor is the increasing number of youth getting into trapshooting (many of whom purchase a used shotgun). In MN the High School Clay Target League is expecting to have over 5,000! kids competing this year vs. approx 3,400 last year and ~1,700 in 2012. Many of these kids kids are in the market for a trap gun, and 1100's are great for kids (soft recoil, somewhat affordable, etc.) but increasingly hard to find up here as there's so much demand for them (and thus increasing prices).

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
$450 is the least I have seen for a 34" 1100 trap barrel - I "heard" there were fewer than 13 ever made. Hold out for at least $1,450...and DO NOT shoot it and destroy its collector value. Regards...but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Certainly more than 13 ever made. I've seen at least that many for sale over the years (including at least one or maybe two that I've owned).

I would say $450 would be the high end. $350 the low end, and $400 probably closer to a realistic price, assuming near new condition (prices listed are barrel only, not the complete gun).

They are really a "cult" type thing, and I doubt have any real performance value over a std 34" trap barrel.

The 34" 1100 and 870 barrels come up on ebay from time to time, usually either an 1100 or 870 34" every 6-8 weeks or so.

The real rare barrel would be the factory 1100 32" barrel, since that was only offered on one limited edition gun (Atlantic Flyway I believe).

They also made a 34" Duck/Goose barrel as well.

34" 870 barrels bring slightly less (had one or two of those as well).

Price got crimped off when Hastings brought out 32" 34" and 36" barrels for the 870 and 1100. But now that they're no longer available either, their prices are creeping up as well.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
MY QUESTION.. ??

Why are the new models with all the cheapened down features selling for near $1000.. and the old Trap and T-Trap models only bringing $500??

This makes no sense to me ..

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
In addition to being an OldGoat, I must admit I am an OldSmartA## - I was kidding about the number of 34" 1100 barrels and their price. Luckily, though, I appreciate the info re: the 32" magnum D.U. 1100s - I have one of them and it is a safe queen. Best Regards, Ed

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have the same two 1100 trap guns with fixed chokes and original Slim Spears release triggers since the late 70"s and have had very few repair problems. Replaced a link, action bar,rings, gasket, and trigger group pin in 40 yrs.

I do carry in a small kit an action bar, complete bolt, link, rings Operating handle, both trigger group pins and spare release. The only time I take the second gun, which is still like new is for a major shoot.
Rick

·
Registered
223 Posts
+1 for the Jack West stocks increasing interest in the 1100. Where else can you get the adjustability. Only thing it won't do is adjust the LOP and you can do that with another recoil pad. And for less than $1k? I've got a lot more in a 391 Teknys. And with less features. Gotta love that 1100 Comp. Syn. Whether you bought it like that or built up a used 1100. Mike

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
The retail price of new guns also buoys the price of comparable used guns as well.

The cheapest blued steel and wood stocked autoloader Remington currently offers (the Sporting 12) is almost $1000. An older model, which had better fit, finish, and craftsmanship @ 1/2 the cost is an excellent value. Only thing you lose going w/ an older 1100 over a newer one is screw-chokes (maybe), but for around $150, Briley can remedy that with thinwalls, which are superior to rem-chokes anyways (I'd take a thinwalled barrel over a rem-choke barrel EVERY time).

The lefty 1100s and 1187s are also creeping up in price since Remington stopped offering LH autoloaders 8 or so years ago. I remember turning my nose up @ a mint 1187 Premier LH (with the embellished receiver) in a gun shop maybe 5 or 6 years ago @ $500. Now that same gun couldn't be touched for less than $750 and probably quite a bit higher. Another semi-local shop has the same gun, but in the plain receiver, and in worse shape, and they want $800 for it.

I bought my first 1100 LH in 2003 for close to $300. It was a MINT (possibly unfired) 28" fixed modified vent rib field gun. Same gun today would bring at least double that.

I paid $650 for a 1187 LH Premier Trap a month or so ago, excellent shape, but with mis-matched wood (1100 trap stock and correct 1187 forend), and was glad to get it for that price.

One could make a small fortune parting out 1100 Trap guns now a days. A solid matched trap stock set will fetch $250 to $300 on ebay in very good condition, a 30" fixed full trap barrel will bring $225 to $275 in very good condition, so you've already gotten $475 to $575 out of the gun, and you still have the complete action to sell, which will bring at least $300. So you can make about $200 to $300 profit on every gun you parts out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just bought a 1974 magnum 30inch barrel 98%
closet queen $325. Seen a left hand 1187 $450.

I need a different barrel for the 1100 for 2 3/4

1 - 17 of 17 Posts