Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shooting games at my favorite club. Shot 5 factory shells. All 5 shot fine and all hulls were complete when they were taken out of the shell catcher. Backed up for the shootoff and went to my standard backup load; Remington STS, 33 gr Blue Dot, red WAA12 wad, Winchester primer and 1.25 oz #5's. Been shooting them for 15 years. They are loaded on a Grabber the night before with no shot spillage, double primer drops or any other indication of a double load. When you put 66 gr of Blue Dot in a hull there isn't enough room for the rest of the components without dumping shot everywhere. I'll let you all give your analysis from the pics below have not dissembled the gun yet, but my theory is a broken locking lug ar lug not fully engaged in the barrel extension. The Hastings barrel appears perfect inside and out although I haven't mic'd the bore and chamber yet. Note the pics of the hull show the cylinder of the brass head are at the crimp end with the head end ripped apart and the crimp end tucked back into the hull. The head was loose in the receiver with the rim reversed. Please ask any question you care to or for more pictures of features you'd like. The best thing is other than a tingling left hand and a bump on my elbows, one from the largest piece of wood and the other I presume the bolt handle which was sheared off and still not found, no one suffered a scratch. My flinch was a bit more pronounce the rest of the evening, though.

IMG_20180625_201324.jpg
IMG_20180625_201337.jpg
IMG_20180625_201359.jpg
IMG_20180625_201415.jpg
IMG_20180625_201429.jpg
View attachment 1497165
IMG_20180625_202434.jpg
IMG_20180625_202401.jpg

·
Registered
703 Posts
certainly appears to have fired out of battery. given that, a stuck or broken firing pin, or a primer not seated deep enough.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just for fun I went to the Alliant website and saw no Blue Dot 12 gauge loads over 38 grains.
A blown up gun at 33 grains is crazy.
I'm terribly uninformed but I thought 1.125 oz, 7 1/2 shot was maximum shot.

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
You loaded a shell which clearly had way too much pressure
I thought the same thing, but the std load of BD in a Rem case w/ 1 1/4oz is 34-37.5 grains at 8700 to 10500 PSI. So the OPs loads likely had the same or less pressure than the average 12ga target load.

There is a chance the locking lug or recess (which looks pretty beat up) failed to lock the gun, although I doubt it would cause this type of damage, since it would essentially act as a straight blowback action, there'd be a ton of recoil, it might damage the gun, but it shouldn't cause the receiver to balloon out like this one did.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Jim blew his gun up. You cannot explain it away by looking at the book; he blew his gun up by using a lot of powder and a lot of shot. Whatever the specific cause, a shell he made blew his 1100 up.

I always read "No other shotgun sport regulates shot speed" - so, I guess, we should cave in if only to be part of the crowd.

No! Here is a textbook case of the race for speed resulting in a blowup. If people want to stand next to shooters about whom they know nothing at all and are willing to trust them as flames blow out of the muzzle of their guns (as I have seen plenty of in Annies) I guess it's up to them, but if I can keep them away from me in ATA events, then I will, and gladly suffer the non-existent consequences not being part of the crowd.

Neil

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am glad you are ok. I would scrap the barrel reguardless what it mic's it has been stressed beyond its working limit, matter of fact I would scrap everything to the landfill to never see the light of day again.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Jim blew his gun up. You cannot explain it away by looking at the book; he blew his gun up by using a lot of powder and a lot of shot. Whatever the specific cause, a shell he made blew his 1100 up.

I always read "No other shotgun sport regulates shot speed" - so, I guess, we should cave in if only to be part of the crowd.

No! Here is a textbook case of the race for speed resulting in a blowup. If people want to stand next to shooters about whom they know nothing at all and are willing to trust them as flames blow out of the muzzle of their guns (as I have seen plenty of in Annies) I guess it's up to them, but if I can keep them away from me in ATA events, then I will, and gladly suffer the non-existent consequences not being part of the crowd.

Neil
So do I understand it that you feel that no one should reload a shell that is more than 9/8 oz at 1200fps? Even if it’s a published load? What about shooting factory shells over 9/8 oz? Is that okay? For the record I don’t reload anything over 9/8 oz at 1200 FPS because I’m a wimp when it comes to recoil. I also don’t shoot games either.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
It looks like the shell was not in the chamber of the barrel when it went off.

Why was there so much pressure in the receiver instead of being in the chamber and barrel?

I don't think 33 gr of Blue Dot with only 1-1/4 oz of shot would blow up a 1100 Remington.

We use to use BPI data and we shot 38 gr of Blue Dot with 1-3/8 oz of shot in Federal League hulls and had no problems

·
Registered
215 Posts
glad you are ok , that's the most important !!! …….. This is a perfect time to bring this up … shooting a pump or gas gun . DO Not shoot a left hand gun from the right and a right hand gun from the left . The port in the side is weak and with a gun coming apart can and will try to exit parts out of the port right in front of your nose !!!!!!

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
MDshotgunner, you asked "So do I understand it that you feel that no one should reload a shell that is more than 9/8 oz at 1200fps?"

No, What I feel is that people who load shells that blow their 1100' s up should not be permitted to keep loading such heavy and fast shells when they shoot ATA events, just as the present rules require.

You can't defend Jim in respect to what happened to his 1100. He, and he alone, not the Blue Dot book, not the reloading machine unless it was a particular brand, is responsible for what happened to his 1100. If you want to shoot beside him have at it, but count me and the rest of the ATA out, as they have made rules to ensure that their members won't have to put up with this nonsense to say nothing of danger.

Neil

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
There is a chance the locking lug or recess (which looks pretty beat up) failed to lock the gun, although I doubt it would cause this type of damage, since it would essentially act as a straight blowback action, there'd be a ton of recoil, it might damage the gun, but it shouldn't cause the receiver to balloon out like this one did.
Yea, I can only picture that kind of damage to the gun and the shell happening if the damn shell was only like a third of the way into the chamber...

A fairly HOT load would blow straight back and break the link at most if it were completely in battery I would think.
Maybe something to do with that trigger hes got in the gun?

I'm glad everyone is OK, that's for sure!

1 - 20 of 168 Posts