Trapshooters Forum banner

1100 trap grade fixed modified barrel??

1668 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  gunr
I am trying to find out if Remington every made a fixed modified choke barrel on their trap model 1100s. I am referring to the 1100s that were manufactured before the 1187s started being made. I know the rib on the older full choke 1100s barrels had a slight "step up" after the receiver along with the stocks were mostly monti-carlo.

If they were made, did these modified choke trap barrels come with this same "step up" on the rib and did they come in different lengths ?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,051 Posts
I am trying to remember my days working the gun counter in a trap oriented gun shop. My recollection is that the 1100 only cam with a full fixed barrel. You have to keep in mind that during that time, it was the fad to shoot tight chokes at everything. Browning, Beretta, early Perazzi guns all had infamously tight chokes from the factory. That is when Tom Seitz, Eyester, and all those guys started opening up and "tuning" almost every barrel that was shot.

· Registered
147 Posts
I am trying to remember my days working the gun counter in a trap oriented gun shop. My recollection is that the 1100 only cam with a full fixed barrel. You have to keep in mind that during that time, it was the fad to shoot tight chokes at everything. Browning, Beretta, early Perazzi guns all had infamously tight chokes from the factory. That is when Tom Seitz, Eyester, and all those guys started opening up and "tuning" almost every barrel that was shot.
The Remington 1100 trap was first available with the flat (slight step) rib 30" barrel marked "Mod Trap". Later the gun was available with a 28" or a 30" step rib Modified choke. I know this because I have both of the step rib barrels. They are quite a bit more rare than the 30" Full choke barrels or the "Rem-Choke" back-bored trap barrels.

· Registered
91 Posts
I have one, my Grandfather purchased the gun new in 1972.
The barrel is stamped MOD TRAP and is choked .018, it is not a step rib. These older Remington trap bbls usually throw great patterns, this one definitely hits 16 yard targets very well.

· Registered
17 Posts
Left side of the barrel near the receiver has a star then , 12 Gauge For 2 3/4 or shorter shells.
Right side has Remington Arms Co, Inc Ilion NY Made in the USA
A couple of marks like a triangle with a sideways B in it, a " J " standing alone and a "G" closest to the receiver..
Single bead an a raised rectangle. That's it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.