Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has most likely been covered before but did a search and didn't find much. So my 1100 skeet has had a bunch of rounds through it and I'd like to have the trigger assembly freshened up before the new shooting season starts. Could use the contact information of a good smith that would make the needed repairs. Thanks

·
Registered
14,535 Posts
If the trigger is functioning OK, don't touch it, it doesn't need anything. If it's broken, toss it in the trash and buy a new one. By the time you start replacing parts on a factory trigger you might as well get a whole brand new one as the cost will be about the same either way.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Remmy triggers are pretty basic, a good cleaning and lube might be all thats needed.
I have tuned many 870s with lightened springs but not my 1100s.

Not sure I would spend too much $ in this department but if you do send it in have them check out the carrier and latch etc at the same time. More likely to have issues there IMHO.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Timney Triggers makes what they call an 870 trigger fix. They say it can also be used in the 1100. I installed the kit in my 870 and it worked great.
Easy to install also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got the Trigger Fix in my 1100 classic trap. Medium Light spring. Trigger pull is great on singles, but the hammer doesn't lock back on doubles, it follows the bolt forward. No slam fire, just doesn't cock. Regular trigger was fine on doubles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got the Trigger Fix in my 1100 classic trap. Medium Light spring. Trigger pull is great on singles, but the hammer doesn't lock back on doubles, it follows the bolt forward. No slam fire, just doesn't cock. Regular trigger was fine on doubles.
This can be caused by a worn recoil spring. It's simple enough to replace the spring, and maybe $25 for the spring. Some folks have had good luck by stretching the spring out past the factory length and reinstalling it.

Also, does this happen when it's cold out? If so, it could be a lubrication issue in the trigger such as a too-thick grease that is inhibiting the sear locking the hammer in firing position.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will check the spring, I have a lot of rounds on it. Do you know the factory spec for length on the recoil spring? Yes, it was cold so I'll check the trigger and flush it out. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I will check the spring, I have a lot of rounds on it. Do you know the factory spec for length on the recoil spring? Yes, it was cold so I'll check the trigger and flush it out. Thanks for the tip.
Spring is cheap and easy to replace at home. Don't bother with measuring- just drop a new one in.

Take off the recoil pad and remove the nut inside the buttstock.

If you have the old slotted 'giant screwdriver' retainer nut replace with a new hex profile unit. I made a blade driver out of a hex shaft spade bit with drill tip cut off and used my bench grinder to fit the width to the slot. Some of those are torqued on TIGHT and an ill fitting screwdriver can cause headaches.

Trivia time: 12 to .410 1100s all use the same recoil spring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have shot triggers with the Timney fix. Compared to my 1100 Timney steel trigger, it was very comparable. Considering Timney no longer does 1100 Triggers, I'd say the "Timney fix" is a great choice.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Back in the day, :05: there were plenty of guys at the range who'd remove the trigger group and submerge it in a coffee can of Diesel fuel.
I tried it. It does work. It cleaned all the gunk and lubricated the parts after.
Of course, you'd have to use an air compressor to blow off all the excess fuel.

I think there are plenty of good, more modern concoctions :1angel: that would do the same.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would just buy a new trigger assembly from Brownells & try it out, then use it as a back up. I take it your not using a release. That is what I did.

·
Sky Buster
4,210 Posts
Any of the guys who bought that Timney package have extra Timney springs laying around? :07:
Remington offers a lighter sear spring which will drop the
pull weight 1 to 1.5 lbs. It's the same spring as used in the 1100
sporting gun. Brownells has them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
A 1 lb. trigger on a shotgun would seem to be too light for clay targets and hunting.....may good for card shoots though. Briley offers a competition trigger upgrade service where you send them your trigger and they put in their new sear system. They also will due basic trigger tuning. I have no experience on the benefits of their options but have been thinking about doing this to a Benelli Super Sport. By the way, I have an 1100 T with the factory trigger and like it to the point where I would not consider messing with it. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts