Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have a few 1100's and owned many more. Stock 1100 magnums have one port. The 3" magnum round having enough gas blow back to cycle the action with one port. Standard 2 3/4" 1100's come with two ports to handle the shorter less powerful 2 3/4" target and hunting loads. Most 3" magnums 1100's won't cycle 2 3/4" short brass target and hunting loads with one port so you have the option of having a second port drilled to get enough gas blow back to cycle the action or you can use a regular 2 3/4" barrel on the 3" magnum receiver. I know a couple of people that drilled a second port instead of buying a second barrel. You have to watch out now if switching barrels to not mix up 3" and 2 3/4 " shells.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Jerry,
Just noticed that you addressed this question to me! The 1100 magnum barrels have one gas port from the factory. If you have a magnum barrel with two gas ports, someone has drilled it aftermarket. Most of these were done to allow enough gas to cycle low-base target and dove loads.
If you have a magnum barrel with two ports, shooting 3" magnum shells in it will accelerate the action at a higher rate than normal and wear out the gun at a much faster rate.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What Scott said is correct about the two ports in a magnum barrel if you continue to shoot magnums through it after the extra porting. The extra gas forces the bolt group back in the receiver harder. The people I know that had the extra port drilled did it because they bought the gun not knowing that the magnums don't cycle the light loads. They don't shoot the magnum shells so had it ported to use light loads so it isn't an issue for them. I have had two of the magnum 1100's and never fired a 3" shell through either.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The non- standard drilled port can be tapped and a small allen head plug installed giving you a very versatile barrel. I have a 20 ga. magnum barrel that is set up that way.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The non- standard drilled port can be tapped and a small allen head plug installed giving you a very versatile barrel. I have a 20 ga. magnum barrel that is set up that way.
I am considering doing this to a 1100 12ga 3 inch Mag barrel that is a 32 inch barrel off a 1982 Ducks Unlimited Atlantic edition.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I do not know who the gunsmith was that did mine but the second port was counterbored just deep enough to thread for the allen head plug and left the plug slightly below flush. Phillip Crenwelge would be a good start.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ports in this bbl. Look to be done at the factory. They are perfect in every way. I sold a lot of 1100 in my time and openEd a few ports, and this looks like a factory job .they are centered perfect. No marks any where. It looks like a brand new bbl. Thanks everyone and you nitro27man I have been a Remington man all my life .I just got a 32 tc Remington for my grandson

1 - 9 of 9 Posts