Trapshooters Forum banner

1100 gas ports

1446 Views 11 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  skrap56
To clean out the carbon in a 1100 trap barrel,what size drill bit should be used, It's not my gun,but my friend tried it and it would not cycle the bolt back far enough.He put on a different barrel and it worked fine. thanks for any help and ideas..
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
To clean out the carbon in a 1100 trap barrel,what size drill bit should be used, It's not my gun,but my friend tried it and it would not cycle the bolt back far enough.He put on a different barrel and it worked fine. thanks for any help and ideas..
I keep a piece of stiff wire that I simply run through the ports each time I put it back in the case.

· Registered
3,963 Posts
For both 1100 and 11-87:
Pipe cleaner with Shooter's Choice, let it sit for a minute or two, followed by a dry pipe cleaner and normal barrel, magazine tube, action cleaning and occasional action spring cleaning (maybe twice a year on the action spring tube). Did go to double O-Rings on the 1100 because one bunch I bought seemed to be a bit thinner than previous ones. Kick out light 7/8 Oz empties with no problem.

· Registered
87 Posts
All good answers, but note that the size of those two "nostrils" depends on what the barrel was made for, and whether the ports were ever enlarged.

Standard used to be something like 0.072", and there were variants of around 0.085" and 0.092". I believe there are other variations as well. I've had some of my 1100-12ga barrels bored out to the .092" spec to cycle lighter loads, e.g. 1-oz. I have a ported one that got bored out even larger.

So the answer to the test question is, get out a few different drill bits and gently test the fit. Once you find the one(s) that fit, now you know the bore size. Harbor Fright sells a drill bit kit with 100 drill bits in steps of .001" or something silly like that, for surprisingly reasonable money. Normally stocked at local stores. Get a set of those and you're guaranteed to be able to handle any 1100 barrel.

· Registered
64 Posts
For both 1100 and 11-87:
Pipe cleaner with Shooter's Choice, let it sit for a minute or two, followed by a dry pipe cleaner and normal barrel, magazine tube, action cleaning and occasional action spring cleaning (maybe twice a year on the action spring tube). Did go to double O-Rings on the 1100 because one bunch I bought seemed to be a bit thinner than previous ones. Kick out light 7/8 Oz empties with no problem.
I've had good luck using a similar formula but with Hoppes #9.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.