Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Remington 1100 hybrid (Trap/Competition ) 30” Remchokes
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The feed latch on my 1100 fell out the first time I dismantled my new to me gun for a full cleaning and check. I understand this is a common occurrence and the latch just needs to be staked in place. I see the staking points and I am reasonably sure that if I got my hands on the proper tool, it would not be an issue.

I was able to reassemble the gun with the feed latch being held in place by the action mechanism and the gun functions as before. Two questions:

Is it absolutely necessary to have the feed latch staked in place, having it loose makes the gun just slightly harder to reassemble?

Is it more cost effective to acquire the tool and re stake it myself, or get a gunsmith to do it?

ok, three questions:
How expensive a task should it be to have a gunsmith do it?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I used to strip and clean all my 1100s every time after using them. The feed latch falling out was a regular occurrence. It's quite easy to fit it back. I used to place the receiver on a sheet of leather on a carpenter's solid wooden bench, then after putting the feed latch in the right place in its groove by hand I'd give one edge of it a sharp clout with pointed carpenter's metal punch powered by my hammer :). It usually stayed in place for another half a dozen strippings before I'd have to repeat the procedure. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy the tool. It is not expensive. It is easy to do. It will save a trip to the smith and it could happen again. I tis a lot easier to put the gun together with the latch staked in place.
Thanks. Any idea where to try? Brownells?
This is why I am so glad I joined this forum. Thanks for the insight

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Went through this same thing.

Put the receiver on a padded or leather surface.

Insert latch in proper position and WHACK the staked area with a sharp awl or a sharp punch. (or even a screwdriver)

Foolish to pay a gunsmith $100 to do this!

not a bad idea to use some epoxy, too.

Paul in Virginia

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If you clean it really well, a very thin bead of black RTV will keep in place for a long time.
Clean it, squirt a thin bead in the receiver channel and put the latch back in.
Put the pins in and use a couple of small clamps to hold it tight in the channel and let it dry.
Liquid Fluid Personal care Electric blue Cosmetics

Reactions: ExFedex

·
Registered
203 Posts
The latest tool Brownells sells for this is $78, which is very pricey. They used to sell a different one much cheaper but not in many years. If you aren’t taking it apart all the time it isn’t going to matter if it’s staked or not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am getting the tool from Bob. I think I am going to clean the latch and inside the grove with brake cleaner, wipe scrupulously, put a drop of superglue on the latch, slip into place and secure it till the glue dries. Then for good measure, I will stake the latch in place. It may be a few weeks before I get to it though, having just cleaned the gun and not planning to shoot until late next week

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
Foolishly had a "shakey" gunsmith stake the latch on my son"s 1100. He butchered the staking and caused blemishes (small nicks) in the outside of the receiver. Tried to charge $90 ... Got real ugly when saw the damage. The super glue or RTV idea would be worth a try.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I am getting the tool from Bob. I think I am going to clean the latch and inside the grove with brake cleaner, wipe scrupulously, put a drop of superglue on the latch, slip into place and secure it till the glue dries. Then for good measure, I will stake the latch in place. It may be a few weeks before I get to it though, having just cleaned the gun and not planning to shoot until late next week
Mind you don't cut yourself! Some of the edges you're going to be cleaning are razor sharp.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Dont forget to put the trigger pin in it to make sure the holes are lined up. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I put a drop or two of blue loctite in the groove before restaking with the pin in for alignment.

I also suggest that the pins be pushed / driven out towards the feed latch.
Excellent ideas both! I will definitely adopt the pin removal technique. Still mulling over the super glue idea. I’m likely to go with the glue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts