Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
No cast, but the comb has lateral adjustment.

Reactions: paul7177

·
Registered
554 Posts
On the topic of these guns, anyone who has one what is your poi & how high etc.. does yours fire @ 13 yards? I'm trying to establish if it's something I'm doing wrong, missing so many birds; or the gun... I think I already know the answer.. But just for clarification sake, I'm curious also. I aim/point in one spot & smoke the bird, do it a second time exact same spot & miss it entirely, to me this is frustrating as I can't seem to get consistency (yet)! Maybe the speed as to which I shoot could also be a factor, I shoot with a full choke always; no exceptions. Maybe I just overthink it way too much; I don't know what the answer is!
-thanks

·
Registered
758 Posts
But just for clarification sake, I'm curious also. I aim/point in one spot & smoke the bird, do it a second time exact same spot & miss it entirely, to me this is frustrating as I can't seem to get consistency (yet)!
Usually when this happens to me it is a head lift/follow through problem.

Years ago, I was having the same problem and was sure I wasn't lifting my head but someone videoed me and played it back in slow motion and there it was. You can lift your head off the comb very slightly and so fast, it doesn't feel like you are doing it. I find I must concentrate on keeping my head on the comb until after I see the target break (if I don't, it may not break).

·
Registered
279 Posts
On the topic of these guns, anyone who has one what is your poi & how high etc.. does yours fire @ 13 yards? I'm trying to establish if it's something I'm doing wrong, missing so many birds; or the gun... I think I already know the answer.. But just for clarification sake, I'm curious also. I aim/point in one spot & smoke the bird, do it a second time exact same spot & miss it entirely, to me this is frustrating as I can't seem to get consistency (yet)! Maybe the speed as to which I shoot could also be a factor, I shoot with a full choke always; no exceptions. Maybe I just overthink it way too much; I don't know what the answer is!
-thanks
Why not shoot at a patterning board and see where your POI is vs your POA? The comb is adjustable up and down, so if someone else has their comb set at a different level or the shape of their face has their eyes at a different level, their POI vs POA can be different than yours.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
I have a 1963 1100 Trap, It fit quite well and I shoot good scores with it. After trying all sorts of things with the Competition Synthetics adjustable this and that I set the two guns side by side, adjusted the CS to conform to dimensions of the old 1100 trap and scores went up. The CS is heavier, it has to fit right to be manageable. I am a slower shooter and I quit playing with chokes and installed a Carlsen Extra Full and that is what I shoot from 16 and handicap. My pattern with both guns is about 80/20 with the beads stacked in the "figure 8" at mount and after that I focus downrange and call for a bird. As long as the barrel is under the bird when I shoot the bird will break, when I miss it is not because of the gun............. Larry

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a 1963 1100 Trap, It fit quite well and I shoot good scores with it. After trying all sorts of things with the Competition Synthetics adjustable this and that I set the two guns side by side, adjusted the CS to conform to dimensions of the old 1100 trap and scores went up. The CS is heavier, it has to fit right to be manageable. I am a slower shooter and I quit playing with chokes and installed a Carlsen Extra Full and that is what I shoot from 16 and handicap. My pattern with both guns is about 80/20 with the beads stacked in the "figure 8" at mount and after that I focus downrange and call for a bird. As long as the barrel is under the bird when I shoot the bird will break, when I miss it is not because of the gun............. Larry
Thanks Larry, I think I just need to take my time, as I shoot pretty fast! I have the full choke in that it came with!
Can you purchase a Carlson extra full choke for this gun? It's a pro bore barrel...?
-thanks

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
That is what I purchased and installed in mine, I started shooting trap about the same time I bought the Competition Synthetic, those helping me indicated that for the 16 I needed to use the modified or light modified that came with the gun...... I did terrible with those chokes so I installed the full and did better so I thought "what the hell" and ordered the Extra Full from Carlson and put it in the gun. My scores went up some more. I shoot slow so my birds are a bit further out so maybe for me that was the answer.......... Larry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts