Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a high rib, low shooting Remington 1100 barrel? Every gun that my daughter shoots has her shooting 8 inches high at about 13 yards.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has to have her head behind the monte carlo on the stock. Otherwise she sees all the rib between front and middle sight.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a 28" 11-87 Step-Rib Full Choke Trap Barrel that shoots pretty "Flat", and has worked well on every 1100 I have tried it on...Let me know if I can answer any questions about it for you...HTH....Mike S.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got one. Absolutely love it. Grew up shooting an 1100, and as I got into my late teens, found myself facing the same problem as your daughter. Moved on to other shotguns looking for a better fit, and finally came full circle with a high rib 1100 I recently found. Shoots about 60/40. Anything in particular you'd like to know?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes, I have an 1100 high rib barrel I'm willing to sell. The rib is 3/4" high tapered Simmons Rib. The bore is .740 and the choke is .040 and I had a wire shell catcher installed. This is a new barrel. I've shot custom 1100s for more than 20 years. I had the barrel built and then bought a Perazzi. The selling price is $1,000.00. For those of you who do not know, the rib alone cost $1,000. I was unable to download photos here. If you would like photos of the barrel email me at [email protected] and drop the Xs.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks. If you or your daughter are anywhere near northern Idaho or eastern Washington, it's fair game to shoot and play with to see if the high rib is something that will work for her.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Holy Smoke!
Before you go out and buy something, please listen to this.
I do coach in the SCTP program, and I have a bunch of experience teaching kids.
They show up with all sorts of guns and I try my best to get them to work.

A piece of craft- stick on foam that I get a t Wal-mart placed on the comb with raise the POI.
For lowering one, I use a piece of balsa wood. A "Trial Rib" of sorts.
I regularly make a few up before season and have them just in case I run into the same issues you are facing, and this year I did. One kids gun shot about 8" high too! It was a field Franchi semi-auto.

The Balsa wood I get is from a local company that makes model airplanes and these strips are scrap. Lucky for me, they fit most diameter ribs and are long enough to cover then entire rib. Balsa is best only because it doesn't add any weight to the gun, but really, any kind of wood will work as long as you get the dimensions correct.
I spray paint them black; use the heads of quilting pins glued onto the wood and then temporarily tape the rib to the barrel with black electrical tape.

Depending upon how much height I need, I can super glue several strips one on top of each other to get the exact height I need.

This is inexpensive and effect and will help you to discover what you need to do to help your daughter.
If a rib is in her future, you will know the proper height.

I was planning on making a brief video showing this, but decided against it because most guns need height in the comb for trap.......not a rib. Guess I will have to rethink that.

P.S make sure your daughter is not back on her stock . When they are too far back, they usually can't see over the receiver and then will lift their heads to try and see the target. If she has a high head position, that's an indication of what I'm saying.
Having her mount behind the Monte Carlo will create horrors of another sort they may be impossible to fix latter...

I'll try to post a pic of my " trial rib" tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts