Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine bought a used 1100 .410. Today while shooting the new to him .410, it would fire, eject, and cycle ok, but ejected shells were showing the fired primers were sticking out of their pockets, some as far as 1/8" or so. Seems to me the shells might be sticking in the chamber and were not being pulled out of the chamber soon enough after firing the shell.

Whatever is going on, can someone explain or maybe if you have had this happen, can you give me any insight as to the problem?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
1. What brand of shells?
2. New or Reloads?
3. If reloads, what primer was used?

Need more info to determine the cause. It is NOT from a shell sticking in the chamber; you said is ejected and cycled ok. The issue is with the Primer/Primer pocket connection.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott. Today, he was shooting Kemen factory loads; 2 1/2" length and 1/2 oz #9 shot as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
It is an ammo problem. Loose primer pocket most likely. Nothing to worry about UNLESS the primer is falling out into the action. Not very likely.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The problem probably is the ammo. When the shell is extracted, it hits the ejector and changes direction rapidly. Inertia, however, works on the fired primer to allow it to slip out of the primer pocket slightly. As noted, it is not a problem unless the primer drops out and into the trigger group.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob and Scott, thanks very much for your responses. My good friend bought the 1100 .410 plus a bunch of ammo as part of the deal. The Kemen ammo might be very old, I'm just not sure. In any case, we are very glad to know there is probably nothing wrong with the gun.

TORC12, yes, most of the guys in my skeeting group much prefer the AA .410 shells over anything else. Especially since we reload as well.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I agree, it is the ammo and it may be reloaded. Guys reload and change primer brands and one primer is smaller than another and the primers are loose. This will allow gas blowback into the action and will dirty things up. Not a problem with the gun though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts