Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1100 28 gauge sporting, mid 90s model, that breaks extractors about every 200-300 rounds. This is the model that is notorious for slinging hulls into next week. I occasionally shoot it for skeet, and my wife shoots it when we shoot sporting clays. I recently changed the spring in the stock, which was about 1.5 inches shorter than the new one, and polished the bore with JB bore paste. No good gunsmiths around here and a call to Remington was no help at all, any other suggestions? I have an 1100 competition with wood stock and have never had a problem, thanks, Joe

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Only a guess Joe. I assume because you're shooting an 1100 you are using the cheaper shells, not STS or WW? Perhaps there is too much friction from the steel base to the chamber, hopefully polishing the chamber was the cure for you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bob, I have been using the AA 1200 FPS, I bought several cases a few years ago so I could have hulls to reload. I also shoot STS reloads, a good friend gave me a couple hundred hulls. I did notice before I polished the bore that the spent hulls were sticking in the chamber when I put them in there by hand. After polishing, the bore is smoother and the hulls don't seem to stick. Thanks for your reply, Joe

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a 870 3 1/2 that I bought new in 1994 and the chamber was oversized. You could not extract the fired shells without having to yank on the forend. Long story short Remington replaced the barrel free of charge. You might have an oversize chamber.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob, it is mold in metal, I can only find steel and forged extractors for the larger gauges

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I have an LT-20 doing the same thing. Mine has a crack in the bolt. Hard to find a bolt for an LT-20...

·
Ljutic Nut
2,940 Posts
Years ago (mid 1980's) a machinist made extractors for 1100's that did not break. I have no idea what the material was that he used or even how he did it but I never broke one of his extractors. I was shooting a lot of games back then and 30 Grains of Herco and a 1 1/4 oz load was very hard on 1100 bolts, pickle forks and extractors. He didn't solve all my problems but he solved the extractor problem.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Try shooting your 28 ga. 1100 without the o ring. My cycles fine without it, it cause less stress on the internal parts and tames down the hull throwing.

Ken Rucker

·
Vendor
765 Posts
A real good 1100 guy told me never to let it slam shut on an empty chamber it breaks extractors. He said always close or dry fire with an empty hull. He said the extractor goes to far ahead closing it with nothing in it. I never broke another one after closing it that way.

Terry.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Terry, I do that as well.

This gun slings hulls past the adjoining skeet station. I think that they drilled the gas holes too large. The newer models do not throw them that far. I wonder if an extra power Wolff spring would slow things down and prevent the hull from being snatched out of the chamber too hard.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had a friend with the same problem, he even broke a bolt. The problem was the magazine tube was not parallel to the receiver. He had a gunsmith remove it, and reweld it on. Never had another problem with it.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Please don't be insulted by my response. I had a friend many years ago that had a 20 ga 1100 that broke extractors two or three times a year and all he did with it was dove hunt. He reloaded and did not have a powder measure. He loaded on an old MEC and you know the rest. I carried a scale to his house and his heavy load was REALLY heavy! The bushing was marked wrong. Just a thought---through experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts