Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 11-87 not too long ago and everything is great but the trigger is really heavy, like 8 lbs. Anyone have a inexpensive way to lighten the pull?

Thanks in advance

John

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have seen shooters clip a coil or two off the trigger spring to get a reduced trigger pull weight. Also trigger springs are made in different strengths. Jim

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
get a hold of patriot springs in ohio they sell trigger springs for about $10.00. Mine went from 61/2lbs to just under 3lbs of trigger pull.
you can clip a coil off but go slow as it will go full auto if you cut to much off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You are much better off buying a different spring than clipping coils... Clipping coils is an ill advised practice and besides, if you don't like the result of the new spring you can always go back to the original setup.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Step one is the spring. Step two is take a look at the hammer notch and sear relationship.
Sometimes they drag on each other because the mating surfaces are not square and smooth.
You can polish the mating surfaces with a stone. HMB

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Me too, +1 for DGH. Probably just got lucky, also had an all steel adjustable Timney that was excellent. If I was to do it again would most likely get the Timney fix kit. Ross Puls

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
This is a niche that needs to be filled, there used to be a gun smith in VA that reworked Rem and Beretta triggers down to about 3.25 lbs and got almost all the slack out of the triggers, round trip shipping and trigger job was about $50. Alas, he passed away a few years ago and I haven't heard of anyone doing this since.

Pat

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
The spring that controls the trigger pull is independent of the sear/hammer engagement, so clipping some coils will lighten the pull without affecting anything else.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clipped 1 coil and took the weight to 3.5 lbs, still a bit of creep but way better than before and for a hunting/HD gun should be fine.

Thanks for the replies guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts