Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning Trapshooters,
So I am a new user but have been reading the forums for a while. Weirdly enough I find all the answers to my random questions at 3am.
So as stated, Reminton 11-87 SP. I (like an idiot) took it apart and cleaned/oiled like a competant shooter is supposed to. However, when I took it apart the feed latch popped out. Ok fair enough. Trapshooters.com helped me out then too. Got it all back together and in working order... or so I thought. Took it back out to use it and I cannot load it.
Now that i am aware of the issues of the feed latch, i know this is where the problem is. I am assuming it is supposed to move during normal operation. Both right and left are static throughout the entire operation of the firearm.
I am just smart enough to be dangerous. I am pretty sure it is safe to assume the issue is not directly with the feed latch. The problem has to be somewhere that controls those parts. I attempted to take it apart and put it back together multiple times to no avail. I have also tried reversing the action. I.e. loading in a practice round from the other direction and it will not be ejected. it will not even move from the magazine tube.
I've tried to trace it and see but I am coming up with nothing and exploded views and diagrams do not help. So, hat in hand and very sad look, please help.
Thanks in advance for reading. And again for helping during my sleepless and often trouble making nights when my brain says taking apart firearms is a good plan!

*EDIT* ok so after the umpteenth time putting it back together, the feed latch moves. At least on one side. But it still will not accept a cartridge.
I am also aware that the firearm requires being cocked to load. just incase the easy and simple way wasnt check first. Like I said, enough to be dangerous. only to myself thankfully. Or well. Eh you get it

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Welcome to the site! Your issue is likely an "operator error" since the gun worked before cleaning. Happens all the time! The feed latch should not have popped out, but it is not hard to replace and install it if you have the tools. Do you have a staking tool? If not, then you can't fix it. Find a local gunsmith to put it back together for you. They get these issues frequently so don't be embarrased; he/she should show you how to reassemble the trigger group so you install it properly. It is a process.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I was already totally sure it was operator error. I already used the staking tool and got the feed latch back in place. I was hoping there was some sort of an answer beyond that, that way i could fix it. I suppose it's time to take it in.
I appreciate the replies. Thank you guys

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I know 1100s pretty good, but it was tough to picture your problem going off of your description...
Tear it apart and put it back together again until you find out what's broken or wrong ??? Might take you a while... lol

Good luck !

Ps - this should be in the 'gunsmithing' section...

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Did you put the trigger plate pin in place when you staked it? Are you sure it was installed the correct way? If so, then you might be inserting the trigger group incorrectly. You should start from the stock and insert the trigger group forward and down so the disconnector [it sticks up on the outside of the trigger group] slides under the interceptor latch correctly. Try that first. If you still have trouble with it operating, also check that the link is installed correctly; hump up and both ears of the open end inserted in the cup in the action tube. Without being able to see it, it is difficult to determine what is going on.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am new and know almost nothing. However, I did find that a YouTube search appears to produce a number of videos that might help. Google "youtube remington 1187 repair feed latch" and you may find visual help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input.
I have been watching all those videos pretty much nonstop and reading as much as I can when I have the time. These are new ideas I am definitely going to try so at least theres hope.
I did use the pin to hold it in place as well as an extra home depot clamp that I could fit in there as well. Until I got that extra clamp in there I wasn't completely comfortable with staking it.
I am going to tear it all down and put it all back together again. I'll pay special attention to the trigger group. Itd be real nice if I'm just being blonde.
I know I can always bring it in and just have it done, but damn it! I've been working on this for a while. I really wanna finish it myself.
Again, thanks.
And I didnt know this post should be in a different forum. That's my fault

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've learned, just recently, that the best thing I can do when I am messing around with something unfamiliar is to take pictures on my phone as I tear it down. It is amazing how helpful that can be when I am putting things back together. Good Luck! You will get it.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
There is a little recess in the receiver that the nose of the feed latch must go into. If it is not assembled correctly in this configuration it looks like the problem you are having. Hard to tell without seeing your shotgun. My two cents worth. Regards, Bob

Remingtom 1100 feed latch 4.jpg

·
Banned
794 Posts
The feed latch is staked into the receiver, but the trigger plate pins keep it in place if he stake fails (which eventually happens to all of them). Looks like you have it in the right place.. I think you have an obstruction between the latch and the body of the receiver. There is really nothing to that latch and the nose of the shell pushed it out of the way when you load the magazine. The action coming to the rear during firing is what pushes in the latch and releases the next shell. I cant think of anything other than an obstruction preventing it from moving enough to load a shell. Where are you located? If you happen to be in Maryland or Delaware I could meet you somewhere and have a look. I'm pretty good with an 1100/1187 action.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Op, I've taken 1100s apart about 1 1/2 zillion times...
Kinda funny, I just got my Competition outta the case to put a new fore arm support on it, (I gave mine to a buddy at the club the other day).
I had a hell of a time reassembling it - took me waayy longer than normal. Sometimes you just have to start over again.
All the parts work together and have to be right.
Most times if it doesn't go together easily, sumthin's wrong .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am doing exactly that as we speak. It is quite possible the trigger assembly going back in COULD be a bigger issue than I realized. That being said, this is the only part of the reassembly that is messing with me. Anyone have any special tips for putting that back together?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that I had a bit of time, and this is driving me absolutely NUTS! I am going to add some pictures. First one is the sight of my issue in full color. That cartridge stops right at the magazine tube. The shell slides all the way in to the rim of the cartridge and then stops dead. The mechanism made to load/eject shells is what's keeping the shells from being loaded into the magazine tube. No matter what position, locked, safe, firing position, open... every which way you can manage to load a shell, I have tried. It will not budge.
20200319_180415.jpg
20200319_175653.jpg
20200319_175729.jpg

From what I can see, this is the issue. The right (when looking at the picture, left side of frame) side of the shotgun is what's holding the shell from being inserted fully. Which is why I thought the problem had to be from the magazine latch. If inserting the trigger in a certain or specific way can be the cause for this, I am all ears!
20200319_180415.jpg
Does this make sense?

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
How much movement is there in the feed latch? It should move about 1/8". Did you check for an obstruction behind the latch before staking it in place? Is there any obstruction in the mag tube?

Scott Hanes

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
How many places did you stake on the latch? There are depressions in the feed latch that should be staked. Four I think.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are no obstructions in either the movement of the feed latch or the magazine tube. I followed the same sort of indentation of what I can only assume was the factory staking. Although this feed latch is machined with 6 beveled surfaces where the original staking was. I staked at 2 of those points in the center of those 6. Movement is only possible of the feed latch from the inner wall of the magazine well toward the center of the well, if that makes sense? No forward or backward movement is there, or possible.
That being said, when it is put back together the trigger pin fits in perfectly with no movement. That includes going through the latch.
When I am putting it back together the only real issue I have, and must use force in order to get it in and seated. I'm thinking that the force I need to use shouldn't be so difficult.
In the very few other firearms that I've used, broken down, and put back together, ive never used that much pressure or force to get in a trigger assembly. An M14 required half the strength I'm using here.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
When inserting the trigger assembly, you have to watch to see that both trigger plate pin bushings are centered. There is also the very narrow 'elbow' on the rear of the disconnector that can stick out against the receiver that makes insertion harder unless you press it in with something.

I am at a loss as to what is happening. It is just too difficult to help via photos (although yours are excellent). Best thing to do is take it to a gunsmith and see what they can determine. Good luck. Sorry I could not assist better.

Scott Hanes

1 - 20 of 42 Posts