Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting a line of skeet today with my 11-87 and it stopped cycling it wouldnt even try to kick the empty out. Upon investigation the sleeve on the barrel where the barrel seal is cracked almost right next to the barrel. So what happened and whats the fix?
Rich De Jonge

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
The part attached to the barrel that slides over the mag tube is properly called the "gas chamber" on an 1100 or 1187. It is often erroneously called the "barrel hanger" or "sleeve".

This part is soldered onto the barrel with silver solder. It sounds like the joint is cracked, which is pretty rare but it does happen. It might be possible to resolder it, but this will also require reblueing. Costs may be out of proportion to simply replacing the barrel, especially a field barrel, unless it is under warranty. Consult Remington.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info The gun is 22 yrs old lots of hunting and skeet. Small problem is its left handed but I think Im going to order another barrel.

DJ

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Corson's has several NIB 1187 LH barrels in stock. They want about $250 for them. Every now and then you will see one on this forum priced around $150. Not exactly common - I just got a replacement tube for my 1187 LH so I know the problem.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
In the old days Remington would replace. My wife received a new barrel when she had this happen to her (she had purchased the 1100 used). Had already shot if for a few years.

Read somewhere they longer do such FAVORS. You could give them a call.

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
Here ya go...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Dodge
Call Remington. I just(during the summer) had the magazine tube on a 15-20 yr old 11-87 come loose. I sent it to Rem and they gave me an estimate and then soldered for N/C and reblued the reciever for $50.00 and no shipping. I would do it anytime you won't be disapointed. Repair took about 3 weeks.

Bill

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just spoke to the head of product service at Remington about this, and he said that this specific repair should be at no charge, regardless of age, evidently.

I have seen this happen only a handful of times, and have sent barrels in for repair for the owners at N/C.

Send the barrel to:

Remington Arms Service Division

Attn: Bruce Travis

14 Hoefler Ave.

Ilion NY 13357

Hope this helps.

Kirby

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sent the barrel away this morning to the above address and we will see what happens. It wasn't the solder joint the crack was right through the center of the compansating port running the length of the sleave.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a little update, I took Kirbys' advice and sent it back to Remington. I received it back today and it was repaired the invoice stated that a new gas cylinder was installed and reblued. It looks like a very nice job, I will shoot it Tuesday night. Thank you Kirby and and all those that gave advice and to Remington. They repaired a 20 year old barrel at no charge.

Rich De Jonge

·
Registered
868 Posts
REMINGTON IS THE BEST WHEN IT COME TO STANDING BY THEIR PRODUCT. I HAD THE EJECTOR SPRING BREAK OFF A 5YO WINGMASTER RECEIVER. I DROPPED IT OFF AT ILION.
IT SHOWED UP AT MY HOUSE A WEEK LATER FIXED AND BEAUTIFULLY REBLUED NO CHARGE.

PS IT IS WORTH THE TRIP TO SEE THE REMINGTON MUSEUM AND COUNTRY STORE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.