Trapshooters Forum banner

11-87 Cycling Tips

884 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Double Trouble
Any tips on specific things to take care of, replace, or upgrade on 11-87s to aid in cycling? Anything besides 1 1/8 loads is hit or miss on cycling the 2nd shell, but the gun is generally clean and seals haven’t seen a lot of rounds.

Looking to make this a reliable sporting/5 stand project but I need to get confidence in better cycling first.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I took an 11-87 Special Purpose and added a barrel seal activator to it in order to make it cycle target and light loads. Works like a charm.

Sadly, Brownells is out of stock on them at the moment.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
I will look into this seal activator. My son has been shooting an 11-87 Special Purpose model for about 25 years. It spends duck season soaked in salt water,buried under muddy decoy bags, and having wet Labs climbing over it. Because I enjoy it he brings it to me when a "fine patina" of rust forms on the gun and also inside. After tearing the gun totally down and a thorough cleaning and lubeing all I had to replace was a bolt buffer that had a small chunk broken out. Taking it to the club for a test fire I found all I had for ammo was my wimpy 7/8 oz trap loads. Thinking these will not cycle shells from the magazine of a magnum gun I still tried 3 shots. All 3 landed about 12 feet to the right. The gas system in the 11-87 is quite an improvement over standard model 1100 guns I own.

· Registered
219 Posts
I took an 11-87 Special Purpose and added a barrel seal activator to it in order to make it cycle target and light loads. Works like a charm.

Sadly, Brownells is out of stock on them at the moment.
It also keeps the magazine tube clean also try to get the old style gas rings they work great, I could shoot7/8 target loads with no problem.

· Registered
711 Posts
Any tips on specific things to take care of, replace, or upgrade on 11-87s to aid in cycling? Anything besides 1 1/8 loads is hit or miss on cycling the 2nd shell, but the gun is generally clean and seals haven’t seen a lot of rounds.

Looking to make this a reliable sporting/5 stand project but I need to get confidence in better cycling first.
How about a better, more detailed explanation of exactly what ammo is/isn't cycling properly?

Factory ammo? Reloads? Etc etc etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.