Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did not like a crimp on one of my reloads so i cut it open to save the components like a dummy dumped the shot 1 1/8oz in my(almost full) powder container !!! - dump it- or go on like nothing happened. whats the worst that could happen? what say you ? dennis

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Find a screen or strainer that won't let the shot through, and pour the mix through it.

·
Registered
16,757 Posts
You should be able to get the shot to the bottom of the powder bottle with some shaking and agitation. pour off the powder till you have recovered most of it. Now the fun begins. A small box or a foam meat tray from the gr0cery with a hole in the corner will allow you to get the lead out. Pour some in and tilt the tray, then use a credit card to roll the stuff over. The shot will roll down and out the hole. Just do a little at a time till you get the hang of it. Same principle as panning gold.
We expect a report back.

HM

·
Registered
402 Posts
did not like a crimp on one of my reloads so i cut it open to save the components like a dummy dumped the shot 1 1/8oz in my(almost full) powder container !!! - dump it- or go on like nothing happened. whats the worst that could happen? what say you ? dennis
Sorry,but you are not the first to do that. I've had lots of experience separating the two. Shot is so much more dense it will sink to the bottom of the bottle and you can pour about 85% off cleanly. The "panning for gold" methods will recover almost all rest. A few flakes may still adhere to the shot but I've just loaded it that way. Should be pretty well separated from the powder burn. OTOH I can't imagine having a piece of shot in the powder burn could be good for keeping anything clean or safe to breathe.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Just pour slowly into a metal pan just enough to cover and listen for shot to hit the metal. If no dink pour that powder into a container, then pour more into the pan and repeat.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Get an approx. 8" round strainer (Walmart kitchen products, about $2.50). Pour powder shot/mix into strainer with a pan underneath
to catch the powder. With a little shaking of the strainer the powder should be separated in short order. Good Luck, Jim

·
Sky Buster
4,169 Posts
Get an approx. 8" round strainer (Walmart kitchen products, about $2.50). Pour powder shot/mix into strainer with a pan underneath
to catch the powder. With a little shaking of the strainer the powder should be separated in short order. Good Luck, Jim
Goat Roper got it right. It works.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should be able to get the shot to the bottom of the powder bottle with some shaking and agitation. pour off the powder till you have recovered most of it. Now the fun begins. A small box or a foam meat tray from the gr0cery with a hole in the corner will allow you to get the lead out. Pour some in and tilt the tray, then use a credit card to roll the stuff over. The shot will roll down and out the hole. Just do a little at a time till you get the hang of it. Same principle as panning gold.
We expect a report back.

HM
got most of the powder out, as the lead does settle with the agitation. got down to the last several tablespoons then put that on the wife's roses after i stepped down an area in the snow.
thanks , dennis

·
Premium Member
Brownings
721 Posts
got most of the powder out, as the lead does settle with the agitation. got down to the last several tablespoons then put that on the wife's roses after i stepped down an area in the snow.
thanks , dennis
So you have fed lead to your wife's roses?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
In the worst case scenario, you have some shot in your powder drop. The shot is inert and will not affect pressures in any way. As a matter of fact, for what ever volume of shot is in the powder drop, that much less powder is there so the net may be a (slightly) lower pressure. Personally I would take the time (and have done so) to separate the shot out. Shot is expensive!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts