Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Lee Loader for 10ga 3 1/2” magnum. I also have some Alcan plastic over powder wads, and some 1/4” Alcan blue tinted card. I think my grandpa used Alcan powder. I’m curious if there is a modern powder I can use with these Alcan items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
830 Posts
57- lucky you - brass 10ga hulls are hard to come by. To the OP-I reload 2 5/8 and 2 7/8 10ga all the time. They are 3 1/2 cut down and I use Rem, Fed, and Win hulls - treat them all the same because they're all straight walled hulls, but I'm not reloading at max or even high pressures, but mid range. Any 12ga load will have less pressure in the 10 because of the more surface area for the pressure to work against. That said, I usually pick a load at 8500 or 9000psi or less, and usually around a 1 1/8oz because that's what I'm use to loading. Just do it in a 10ga. I'm also using a Mec jr 10ga press so that makes it easier. If you want to use your Lee and a 3 1/2" shell, in the Alliant manual they show 29grs of GD with 1 1/4oz in a Rem SP-10 wad giving 1265fps at 8300psi. You also need [email protected] .135 cards in the plastic wad for proper load stack height for a good crimp. Your Alcan fiber wads would also work - you'll just have to figure out how many to use. Matter of fact, using just your Alcan wads would work. Forget the Rem SP-10 and sub in just your plastic and fiber wads. At 8800psi, a couple a thousand psi change one way or the other won't hurt anything. More likely than not your pressure is going to go down a bit. Good luck.

·
Registered
830 Posts
To add a bit, I load 10ga target loads at 1oz of shot and powder data from a 12ga target load - say 19 or so grains of Red Dot along with fiber wads. You'll need a hard .125 over powder card, the necessary soft cushion wads for proper load height for a good crimp, and either a thin over shot card - .062, and do a roll crimp or just go ahead and fold crimp it without the OS card. www.circlefly.com can help you out or www.precisionreloading.com or www.bpi.com . Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good tips guys. Yep, I forgot to mention I’ll be using lead shot. I have several boxes of the wads so I’d like to use those up.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Memories. l used to load 58 grains of AL-8 behind 2 1/4 ounces of buffered copper plated #2 shot. in my F&F Richland Arms SXS. lt would knock the crap out of high flying snow geese and mallards! Aaaah the good old days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an old Lee Loader for 10ga 3 1/2” magnum. I also have some Alcan plastic over powder wads, and some 1/4” Alcan blue tinted card. I think my grandpa used Alcan powder. I’m curious if there is a modern powder I can use with these Alcan items.

I load 10 ga

·
Registered
11 Posts
I load 10 ga Federal 31/2" hulls with 4 buck and I have to use 2 ea. 1/4" felt spacers in the wad but I use 12 ga spacers so they inside the wad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to mention that my hulls are cut down to 2 3/4 - saves on the amount of fiber cushion wads are needed.
I finally bought a book that covers a lot of information about reloading for a 10ga. One thing I noticed is it suggests that hull life is around 1 or 2 times of reloading. I think that was for Remington and Cheddite hulls. Is this correct? I know that hot loads will lower the life of a hull. I'm hopeful that there is better news, I'd like to find an option for a hull that will allow a handful of times reloaded. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
You might be better off keeping a box of each and sell the rest. EBay is an option. 10 hulls are not easy to find like 12’s are. Unless you have a large number you will soon be looking for more to use up your wads. I few times I have ended up with odd reloading stuff and found out I was spending dollars chasing pennies.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm not sure WHAT book you bought but in my experience reloading shortened 10ga hulls there is no difference in hull life between the 10 and 12ga shells. Maybe the regular length shells are hotter and the ends go bad. In the Alliant handbook there's some loads for 3 1/2" 10ga that are in the 8 to 9000psi range. I wouldn't think they'd be so hot as to ruin the ends too quickly. I have a Parker, Lefever, and Remington SxSs in 10ga. I just use them for fun shooting at SCs, so loads are light - 1oz. I don't shoot them a lot, but the shells seem to holding up just fine. Because I load at lower pressures - 7 to 9000psi - I don't mind subing in different components IF I think it won't make a difference. With that said, I've found all 10ga shells are straight walled, so I feel they can be interchanged. Looking in my Alliant handbook the Win, Rem, and Fed shells all have close to the same pressures with the same components no matter what hull is used. Cheddites are just a cheap foreign straight walled shell. I found the biggest problem is the shell wall thickness seems to be a bit thinner than other gauge shells. They will wrinkle a lot easier in the plastic wad cushion area if the total load stack height isn't right. The Federal hulls also do it. If you're just gonna use up some old fiber wads trim the hulls down to a shorter length so less wads are needed. I had a Parker lifter 10ga that had stepped chambers at 2 5/8. So I cut all my hulls to 2 5/8 to make life easier. They work just fine in the longer chambers and use less material when reloading. You could cut a couple down and see how they do. I know 10ga empty hulls are expensive. I use to order 50 Rem hulls from BPI or Precision Reloading. Then a friend who hung around a local DNR range would pick up empty 10ga hulls and give them to me - Fed, Rem, and Win. I'd treat them all the same - just use some mild 12ga data, sub in the 10ga wads [ if plastic, Rem SP-10, then use a 16ga fiber wad in the plastic wad for filler ] and load and shoot. If you're going to shoot heaver loads the Alliant handbook has 1 1/4oz loads using Green Dot, and Unique. The Blue Dot loads are for 1 7/8oz of shot. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
If you roll crimp your shells you can make your own stack height by trimming your shells to the length needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts