This list is offered to help beginner shooters get a grip on a few things that can help[ if they are remembered and used]. If anybody has some others.....feel free!
1. Focus on and maintain visual contact with the target......nothing else!
2. Never quit on any target, but be determined to break 'em all.
3. Block out all distractions and concentrate on EACH individual target.
4. Keep your cheek on the comb and maintain eye alignment after the shot and until follow through is completed.
5. Always follow through after firing and keep the gun moving.
6. In gun mounting, come straight up to the shoulder and head.....eliminate wasted motion.Keep the gun still after mounting.Keep head upright.
7. Know a practice the correct hold points for each station.
8. Observe how wind is affecting targets and adjust accordingly.
9. Consistent gun mount is important for every target.Same way for every shot.
10. If you're doing it RIGHT.....Have an unchanging routine for EACH shot.
11. Use "Imagery" if it helps you! [Example...the target is a Grouse}.
12. Use BOTH eyes for good bifocal vision......thats why you got two of them.
13. Your master eye must be slightly above and aligned with the rib at mounting.
14. Don't move the gun till the target path is quickly determined.
15. Smoothly swing the gun to the target, twisting at the WAIST, not with only the arms . A wide stance makes this much harder to do.
16. Use a narrow, straight-up stance and posture.......no leaning forward.
17. Balance the gun between the hands when mounted.
18. Gun grip should be firm, yet relaxed and not tense.Use shooting gloves.
19. Never rush any shot.....you have ample time to do it right.
20. Never call for the target unless you KNOW you are ready.This causes many misses.
21. Call for the target in a short, crisp manner.
22. Shoot AT the target while keeping the gun moving. Sorta like smoothly painting it out of the sky.
23. Have the personal confidence to know you CAN break any target thrown.
24. Be motivated to ALWAYS want to improve you style and technique.
25. If you miss, learn from it by knowing WHY and don't repeat the same error.
26. Shooting "pressure" is a self-imposed distraction........avoid it!
27. Relax,but stay concentrated on the task at hand.
28. Call for the target immediately upon mounting.....do NOT hold a mount any longer than necessary.Keep the gun still after mounting.
29. Your stance should be with only about 6 inches between heels and NOT facing the traphouse. Align your stance on the 50 yd stake.
30. Use Soft-Focus prior to calling for the target.Then let your peripheral vision first pick up the target streak.......then hard focus on the target just before the shot.
31. Use a higher gun hold point and let the target do the work by coming up to that hold point. Save motion not NOT chasing the target up from the traphouse.
32. Use at least a 60/40 POI......Trap guns must shoot higher because the targets are rising.This also prevents losing sight of the target.
33. Realize that there really is no such thing as a straightaway target.
34. Never anticipate which way the target will fly.....Wait, and be SURE!
35. Maintain your personal concentration no matter what.
36. Trust in your hand-eye coordination.....don't be to deliberate in your style.
37. Try to shoot at the same speed[rhythm] each shot if possible.
38. Be safety conscious, but don't get carried away [distracted] by it.
39. Never anticipate the shot.......just let it happen.
40. Do whatever is necessary to prevent a Flinch from starting.
41. Do whatever you can to reduce "Felt" recoil [method or gun, or both].
42. Accurate and consistent shooting will ONLY be possible with a good-fitting gun.
43. Don't underestimate or overestimate target speed.......get the feel of it.
44. Remember you are shooting at a 41 mph target with an 8oo mph load. If the gun is kept moving,the importance of "lead" is deminished.
45. Hold a gun point high enough to reduce gun movement as much as possible......mostly moving left or right.
46. Be a shooter who is welcomed by other shooters.
47. Don't dwell on a missed target.
48. Never become self-condeming if your shooting is not as good as you would like it to be.
49. Remember, this is a 90% mental game.......keep your head glued on right!
50. Once you develop a good style.........practice it the SAME WAY every shot.
51. Don't get bored with routine.........thats just a requirement.
52. Always wear eye and ear protection.
53. Be sure you have the correct guage and number of shells for each round.
54. Don't be concerned about what/how other shooters are doing.
55. Have the right attitude........Winners expect to win, and losers expect to lose.......be a winner!
56. Seek the advice of good shooters and learn from them.
57. Master the 16 yd line before shooting doubles or handicap.
58. Wear wide,flat-bottom, comfortable shoes for the best support.
59. Don't mix reloads or new loads.......25 of the SAME shells each round.
60. Develop and test a reload that gives you the most advantages and/or works BEST for YOU!
61. Always use the POI that works best for you and always pattern your loads. Visualize that pattern while shooting.
62. Dismount and remount when theres a delay or no target comes out.
63. Try to shoot each target while it is still rising, but definitely BEFORE it peaks.
64. Try to observe one round by other shooters before you start shooting. Study the targets, but never try to "read" the traps.
65. Start on either station 2,3,or 4 if you are a beginner.
66. Avoid ALL negative thoughts[about anything] while shooting.
67. Don't eat or drink just before shooting.
68. Do not talk to other shooters on line.
69. Never, but NEVER, lose your cool on line.
70. Always know when its your turn to shoot.
71. Know and follow the accepted rules of trap shooting.
72. Keep your gun pointed downrange at all times when on station.
73. Know when your gun is loaded at all times.
74. Be extra careful moving from station 5 to station 1.
75. Always have a few extra shells with you when shooting.
76. Don't handle other shooters guns without first asking permission.
77. Don't pick up other shooters empty hulls.
78. Don't be late to the line .
79. Wear a hat or cap to shade your eyes......blinders are a good idea also.
80. Be your own best critic.......your best effort, practice or registered.
81. Emphasize to yourself what you SHOULD be doing....not what you should NOT be doing.
82. Be precise and careful in your reloading.......you want consistency in ammo.
83. Remember that all target will be rising and quartering away from you.
84. Inconsistent gun mount will change your POI for each shot....don't let it happen.
85. A crisp trigger of the proper pull, without any creep, is vital.
86. Use the correct shooting lens for your eyes. An eye exam before starting to shoot is a good idea.
Ok, that's it...........I know, I know, its only 86.....sue me! All kidding aside....I hope this list helps!......Shoot Well!