Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Just getting by.....
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that if you have a less than stellar singles average and shoot 1000 caps you can get a 1 yard reduction.

Why no option code your for a 1/2 yard reduction?

Has there ever been less than a one yard reduction offered?

Would anyone support a choice of 1/2 vs 1 yard?

My reasoning is most of my punches have been 1/2 yard, and 1/2 yard would get me back to the the 21.5 and if I shot well enough I could be back at the 22.

· Just getting by.....
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reductions from the ATA have always been in one yard increments . I really don't see any reason to change it.
Thanks Slide, maybe all punches should just be a yard and that would really simplify things. I never understood the 1/2 yard punch.

I have seen shooters trying to stand on the 20.5 yard line.

· Ya can't miss with a shotgun
3,181 Posts
I've never understood the 1/2 yard punch either. Anyone know the reasoning behind it?
Likely to bring in more revenue per yard granted by increasing the number of steps it takes to reach the 27..... or any increased yardage. It also slows the progression down.

· Registered
2,056 Posts
If you are on a full yard and get a 1/2 yard punch, the powers that be are telling you "hey pal, you did pretty good but not quite good enough to gain a yard, do it again and you are stepping back"

· Registered
460 Posts
The half yard increments make the top 4 scores earn yardage at big shoots. Since the top score will earn 2 yards (and that's a large jump) the 94's or somewhere around there may earn yardage. If we get rid of the 1/2 yard increments, the top score will earn what? 4 yards? That's ridiculous.

· Registered
7,252 Posts
I bet it would be better to double the reduction rather than half it, for most people. Yet I continue to refuse them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Ya can't miss with a shotgun
3,181 Posts
If a shooter earns a half yard, they stand at the nearest whole yard marker; a 23.5 yard shooter stands at the 23 yard line. If a shooter gets a half yard reduction due to low scores, where do they stand?.....and if the reduction is to help the shooter, does it really do any good?

What year did the half yard designations come into being?

· Registered
249 Posts
I got a half yard reduction once. My singles average prevented me from moving forward the whole yard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.