Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW and double WOW !!!

I was doing some checking today on the ATA's website, and here is what I found out !! These are the men that shot the first 100's from the 27 yard line.

#1 Col. E.S. Throckmorton
#2 Dan Orlich
#3 George Snellenberger
# 4 J.C. Morrison
#5 Dan Orlich

These are all well and good, but here's the WOW part; Dan Orlich shot six of the first 11 straights that were ever shot. What an accomplishment !!!! and he had 11 (yes eleven) 99's before shooting his first one!!!

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
452 Posts
When we had Dan Orlich representing our Handicap event in our "LEGACY SHOOT" 2 years ago, we printed off that detailed information from the ATA Hall of Fame. Tom you are correct 6 of the 1st 11 100 straights from the fence, by Mr. Dan Orlich. Scott
I have a personal letter from Dan when I wrote him and asked if he would like to represent that event. He wrote me back and it was easy to see the man is respectful, sincere, generous and his has a certain flair and style about him. I took that letter, a photo of him from 1964 standing next to the big score board in Vandallia and an autographed $100 bill and had it framed and matted. It is a very treasured trap item to me......................................a signed and personalized piece of trap history. YMMV.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
A lot easier with the Winchester machines, rather than the PAT traps of today. One could read those traps with the right squad. Not saying Orlick was not a great shooter., but it's a lot tougher today with the random interrupter.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
I can "read" where the doubles targets are going to be but it is damn hard for me to break the whole 100.
Do not think I will ever get that 100 from the 27 but I will keep trying.
I have the upmost respect for anyone that has broken the 100 front the 27.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
100 from the 27 is indeed an accomplishment. Look at the ATA website for the number of Grand Slams and you can see how rare it is.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A lot easier with the Winchester machines, rather than the PAT traps of today. One could read those traps with the right squad. Not saying Orlick was not a great shooter., but it's a lot tougher today with the random interrupter.
Have to disagree with that comment. How about factoring the hand set target, the manual puller and the equipment. One look at the averages and scores at shoots today speaks volumes about todays trapshooting.....Just my opinion..

Paul H
Imperial, PA

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
Have to disagree with that comment. How about factoring the hand set target, the manual puller and the equipment. One look at the averages and scores at shoots today speaks volumes about todays trapshooting.....Just my opinion..

Paul H
Imperial, PA
And your Grand Slam position is?? You CAN shoot these too easy targets and run hundreds every time you go out. Right??

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Got to agree with pashooter --3 hole targets, hand pulls were pretty tough. I remember those days! Also, interrupters were brought into the system LONG Before Pat Traps. I own an old Winchester Hand set that I bought from Roadside in Piqua OH. and it is a RELIC but , it still has an interrupter on it installed on it as original equip. Also the old hand set machines threw "Great" targets "IF" you had good setters . If not they could be all over the place! BTW the first to win the "Grand American Handicap" with 100x100 from the 27 was Reggie Jachimowski in 1978.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones to have run a 100 from the 27 during a ATA shoot. There is nothing easy about it. Damn sure a lot of luck was involved when I did it but its something know body can ever take away from me. Now all I got left is the 200 singles and I will have them all.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I watched Dan shoot, as a real young guy going to Vandalia with my father in the 60's.
Not positive what gun he was shooting (I think a Model 12) but he was so big it looked like a toothpick in his hands.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
I watched Dan shoot, as a real young guy going to Vandalia with my father in the 60's.
Not positive what gun he was shooting (I think a Model 12) but he was so big it looked like a toothpick in his hands.
If you are talking about Dan Orlich , he shot a Remington Model 31 for several years before he bought a Lujtic which btw was Lujtic serial number 1.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Didn't Reggie Jackamowski from Illinois run the 1st 100 from the 27 with his Model 12?
If you mean at the Grand, the answer is no. That was done in 1975, I believe, by Dan Bonillas. Reggie was the first from to win the Grand American Handicap with a 100 from the 27 in 1978.

In fact, the GAH was won 10 times with a score of 100 before Reggie. But they were all by short yardage shooters, the first was in 1910 !! After Reggie's 100 from the 27 it has been done 4 more times from the 27.

Tom

1 - 20 of 55 Posts