Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reached for the snooze button on my alarm clock as fast as I could when the buzzer sounded at 5 o'clock this morning, hoping my wife wouldn't wake up. For a brief moment, I considered shutting the alarm off entirely and going back to sleep.

I'm glad I didn't.

I got up, got dressed, let the dogs out and started on the 2 1/2-hour drive to El Dorado, Calif. for the second day of a PITA shoot. Then I proceeded to break 100 straight in singles!

This really came out of the blue, as I'd never even earned a 50-straight patch before. I once broke 62 consecutive targets in practice, but they were spread across three rounds. My high score in competition prior to today was a 93.

Honestly, when I was shooting them, it felt like it was the easiest thing I'd ever done in my life. I'd just call "pull" and focus on the target, and the ol' TriStar TT-15 DT would somehow just get itself pointed in the right place and I'd pop the trigger. There were no chips or near-misses – every one of them was splattered good.

After I ran the first 25, I was like, "Okay, this was a worthwhile trip." After the next 25, it was, "Wow, now I finally get a 50 patch!" When I got to 75, I was completely zoned out, but still fully conscious and aware of what was going on. I figured I might as well finish this thing off.

Try as I might, I can't keep myself from counting – it just comes naturally. I knew when I'd broken 63 straight for my new personal record and I knew when I'd gotten to 94 for a new competition high.

On the last post I was determined not to change my rhythm; I was not going to purposefully slow way down and ice myself. When the last target was pulverized, it felt like I was on one of those amusement park rides where you're taken way up high in a basket, and then the bottom seemingly falls out. The guy on my left stepped over to shake my hand and all I could say was, "I can't believe I just did that."

One of the PITA directors was a couple of squads behind me and when he finished up and got wind of my score, he made me hand over my White Flyer baseball cap. Then he put a full water bottle in it and secured it with a rubber band and had me come out to the 27-yard line on the center trap. Seven or eight other guys lined up to the right with their guns and the director told me to launch the hat on a high arc out in front of them. The results can be seen below – what a thrill that was!

I really don't have anything to compare this accomplishment to. I was pumped the first time I broke 80 on a regulation golf course, but it was far from a perfect score and multiple people certainly bettered it on that same day. I also made a hole-in-one once, but that was just one lucky shot, and it didn't even go where I aimed it – I bounced the ball off a greenside embankment and it rolled into the hole at a 90-degree angle from where I was standing on the tee box.

There was no luck involved with what occurred today and for one weekend, I was better than anybody there, as I was the only person to shoot 100 on either day.

This may never happen to me again. I talked to a guy there today whose damn license plate on his truck reads AAA27AA, and he said he's got more than 30 99s and zero 100s. At least I've done it once.

I might type out a long testimonial and sent it to TriStar. Maybe they'll send me another gun I can use if mine ever breaks down, like some here are so sure it will.

If it falls apart into 50 different pieces the next time I take it out of the case, so be it. It helped me achieve this high I'm on right now, the the money I spent for it will have been entirely worthwhile.
Score_sheet.JPG
Patches.JPG
Hat.JPG

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Congratulations on your 50,75 and 100 straight. If you can start to do it at will and get your picture in the monthly magazines, TriStar may approach you to represent them.

Jason

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
If you write to Winchester just tell them you use their Shells. They will send a real nice typed certificate with your name on it. Motordoc

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Congratulations! I feel for someone with thirty 99's and no 100's.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Motordoc's idea about writing to Winchester reminded me about White Flyer.

White Flyer also gives out Certificates of Achievement. I am not sure if the club needs to have been using White Flyer targets, but hey you where wearing a White Flyer hat. Send them the picture of the shot up hat along with the letter requesting the Certificate. I would think that White Flyer would also send you there current hat.

Jason

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Excellent Shooting there!!! You'll never forget today, so I hope you had a real nice dinner to cap it off. Also write the club,date and event on your hat's bill. A trophy that you will have for a very long time. "YOU" broke em all!!! Jeff

·
Registered
545 Posts
Way to go!! And bet you weren't thinking about lock time, shell speeds,chokes,LOP and such. The targets probably looked larger and slower.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts