Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a wild thought to use 3 1/2 inch hulls with split/blown case mouths...can I trim them down to 2 7/8 inch (or 2 3/4 inch and find a 10 ga load that will cycle the Browning 10 ga? (I do not have a double 10 ga or other 10 ga so there is no risk of mixing up the shells.) Any thoughts???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have that manual...it has several 10 ga 2 7/8 inch loads bit none above 1 3/8 oz...my experience with 3 1/2 inch loads is that only 1 1/2 oz loads will cycle the Browning Gold 10 ga. If you have more specific information I will be glad to try it out or look it up wherever you think I may find it. I also have the white 10 ga load book put together by 10ganut. No help there either...Thanx

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've shot 2 7/8 to 2 5/8 shells for years, all trimmed down 3 1/2 shells. My loads are for old SxSs and I only shoot 1 1/8oz or more so lately 1oz loads all for target shooting. I'm sure they'd work great for hunting. The 10ga SxS shooters I run with just use 12ga data with 16ga filler wads in the SP-10 plastic wad for a good load height. Any load safe in a 12 will be safe in a 10 because the pressure will go down because there's more area for the pressure to work against - bigger chamber diameter means more surface area. In the Hodgdon manual I see for 12ga - 1 7/8oz, Win primer, SP-12 wad, and 30grs of Longshot gives 9500psi. 32grs gets you in the 10,000psi range. That one should be just fine in the 10ga with a SP-10 wad.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
MY late buddy loaded up some skeet loads that would reliably cycle in my SP-10, but not so reliably in his browning gold. Sadly, that information is lost with him.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've shot 2 7/8 to 2 5/8 shells for years, all trimmed down 3 1/2 shells. My loads are for old SxSs and I only shoot 1 1/8oz or more so lately 1oz loads all for target shooting. I'm sure they'd work great for hunting. The 10ga SxS shooters I run with just use 12ga data with 16ga filler wads in the SP-10 plastic wad for a good load height. Any load safe in a 12 will be safe in a 10 because the pressure will go down because there's more area for the pressure to work against - bigger chamber diameter means more surface area. In the Hodgdon manual I see for 12ga - 1 7/8oz, Win primer, SP-12 wad, and 30grs of Longshot gives 9500psi. 32grs gets you in the 10,000psi range. That one should be just fine in the 10ga with a SP-10 wad.
Thanx for the suggestion...I will try some of the 12 ga loads with your input in mind...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts