Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a low recoil 1oz. Load around 1200 fps. I currently only have promo and 700 x available . Am using aa and sts hulls. Would dpreviTe any help . Thanks Bigbob

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Recoil is a function of payload and velocity. There isn't much of a way to manipulate physics. If you want 1200 FPS, then find a load for either of the two powders you have, but if you want low recoil, then you are going to have to give up payload (try 7/8 or 3/4 oz loads) or reduce your velocity down to around 900 fps or something near that with 1 oz loads. You will still be hitting birds pretty good from the 16 with 900 fps, not so much from the 27 maybe. Your 700-X and Promo powders are both pretty fast, so will work for those lighter loads too.

And for those that claim that some powders shoot softer, it's mostly mental too. Remember, trap shooting is 90% mental, this encompasses everything, even perceived things.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I would shoot for a velocity of 1150 for the softest shooting load that still has some target breaking authority.
15.5 gr. of 700x or 17.0 of Promo will do everything you need and shoot soft.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Personally I prefer a bulky powder that requires a big bushing to drop the proper weight.

In simple word, to me bigger the bushing bigger the forgiveness if it drops light to maintain velocity

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
17 gr of 700 x in a Rem hull with a windjammer wad and win primer will give you the number your looking for. Soft shooting 1oz. I shot that published load today for singles, handicap, and games.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Bigbob, given the 1oz and 1200fps constants, the only way to reduce actual recoil is to use less powder and the lightest possible wad. The WJ was LT mentioned is a good choice. 700X is harder shooting than Promo, but you have to use a tad more Promo to match velocities.

If felt recoil is your real concern, I'd suggest trying either American Select or Solo 1000. Both make superb 1oz powders and are softer feeling than the two you have.

The biggest bang for the buck in reducing actual and felt recoil is reducing velocity. A reduction from 1200fps to 1145fps will make a noticeable difference in recoil, but not in leads or breaks.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'll second the WJ wad. Another option is to go to a cylinderial hull such as Gold Medal or Top Gun. Or go to the Federal Paper.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Besides shot weight and shot velocity, the third way to reduce felt recoil is to make the gun heavier.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Federal Go;d Medal Extra Lite Papers shoot real soft for me. You get a full 1 1/8 oz of shot at 1100 fps. I like 7 1/2 size shot as it retains its velocity and energy. I just don't like 1 oz. loads.

To reload an equivalent shell, I use 18.5 grains Green Dot, F209 primer, 12S3 clone wad and 1 1/8 oz magnum 7 1/2 shot. IMO, the paper hull and base wad smooths the recoil sensation. Paper compresses, plastic does not. Warning, this makes a great handicap load.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everbody for your help. Had my k80 fitted by Mike at Pms Firearms. we added wieght in stock and new recoil pad. It helped but still trying to find a load that will break those long crossers but not hurt my cheek bone. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
I shoot 7/8 ounce loads over about 16.5 grains of Promo.

There is almost no recoil...

You might need to tweak the load (it is VERY light) and in cold weather it can produce bloopers... I started at 16 grains and had to bump it up to stop the winter bloopers for my location...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
#8's at 1150 fps, Winchester or Cheddite Primers, 18.0 gr. of Green Dot in a Winchester AA Hull, CB 1100 Wad
or
#8's at 1150 fps, Federal 209 Primer, 18.0 gr. of Green Dot in a Remington STS Hull, DRTGT 12 green wad

Here ya go....lots of good recipes out there!!!

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I use to load 1 oz. loads using 15.5 gr of 700X and blast targets from the 27. AA hull, wad and primer #8 shot. Worked for me.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
This subject has been passed around for a long time. I won't get into all the physics but if you don't mind load up 19.5 grains of green dot in a 1 oz load and shoot 100 rounds with it. Then try the promo load the next time. Tell me if you yourself feel any difference?? The green dot load won't work very well when it gets cold unless you keep the shells warm. It wasn't designed for 1 oz loads but it will work. I shoot it all the time .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you to everybody for your help . I have been shooting 16 grains of 700x in win and sts hulls with 8 or 8.5 shot 30 yds or closer targets.Hits hard with little recoil. I realy like it. For longer shots in sporting clays i use 18.5 grains of 700 x in fed gold medal with 12so wad with 7.5 shot. Alittle more recoil but still pleasant to shoot. Thanks again Bigbob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts