Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot a lot of 1 oz loads at 16-24 yards - my loads are all around 1180 to 1200 ft/sec. bt99 IM choke win AA red hulls winshc 19.9 grains cb1100 or rem tgt-12 wads cheddite primers or 700x 16.5 grains tgt-12 wads cheddite 1 0z 8's MY question is - would you shoot them at 25 -26 yards or go to 1 1/8 oz loads ?

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
geno 12,

Will 1oz. loads break 25-26 yard handicap trap targets...all day long. I would shoot 7 1/2 with a full choke.

You're going to get lots of guys tell you to shoot 1 1/8 oz.

Bottom line...shoot the shell you have the most confidence in.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I consistently shoot better scores from the 25 with AA 1oz light handicaps than I do with 3 dram 1 1/8 loads..keeping your head on the stock is a big part of breaking targets from any distance doesn't matter how many pellets you have if you lift your head.Jerry

·
Supporting Vendor
9,979 Posts
I really wish there were more of you light load wonder dogs at the Calcutta shoots. It would make my job a lot easier.

·
Banned
9,754 Posts
Well there is math to look at. There are more #8 pellets a 1 oz. load than in 7-1/2 pellets on a 1-1/8 oz. load. But, in any given load there are more pellets of the" same size" in a 1-1/8 oz. load. It all comes down to choice. Are 1 oz. load adequate ? Yes ! Are they better ? generally no BUT the answer can be both yes and no. I would MUCH prefer premium loads in 1 oz. to soft cheapie loads in 1-1/8 oz. but given the same quality shell the 1-1/8 oz. gets the nod BUT, if you are flinching under the recoil of heavy 1-1/8 oz. loads your scores will suffer! I shoot 1 oz. for everything EXCEPT Annies and Ptotections. Then I pull out the Sporting Clays heavy jobs. I'm just glad I don't have to shoot very many of those things!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The more pellets you have in the air, the better the chance you have a breaking the target. For the life of me I cannot understand why people seem to think they can defy this basic equation.
Let me help you understand.

You imply that nothing is more important to scoring than the maximum number of pellets you can put in the air.

Suppose....just suppose....a 3" shell with 2 ounces of shot were legal. Would you be shooting 2 ounces of #9?

I think not. I think your scores might suffer. I think you would likely decide that, somehow, you actually score better with something less than 2 oz....1 & 3/4?....1 &1/2?

Maybe there is no magic in the 1 & 1/8 ounce payload. Maybe with the right skill set and mindset one can do quite well with less than 1 &1/8.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
You imply that nothing is more important to scoring than the maximum number of pellets you can put in the air.
No, let me help you understand. I implied nothing of the kind. You inferred that and it was due to your poor comprehension or misconception on your part. No where did I mention the word "score" nor the word "important". Your fault for inserting those two concepts into the point I made.

Do you understand the meaning of the word "chance". Here ya go.
chance
CHans/
noun
noun: chance; plural noun: chances
a possibility of something happening

See, scooter, more pellets, the greater the possibility one will hit the target. It's just math.

·
Registered
507 Posts
As it turns out... I almost always pay more for the targets I shoot at than the cost of my shells. I always use my reloads because I feel they are as good, or better, for my purposes, than factory shells. What I'm saying is why skimp on your shells (reloads) when the targets generally cost more per round.

There are only 2 reasons I can see for doing this. One... you want to save about 32 cents (the cost of about one ATA target) per box when going from 1 1/8 to 1 ounce, or you want to reduce recoil, and have chosen to reduce the payload to do it, even though there are several other ways to do that.

If you keep track of you scores and find you are better with the 1 ounce loads, well Hallelujah! I did and I did worse.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep I knew it I really knew it. After reading all the sound advice given above I just knew those bunker shooters with 24 gram -7/8 oz loads nailing a harder, faster target had to be cheating. No way.

·
Registered
20,343 Posts
Yep I knew it I really knew it. After reading all the sound advice given above I just knew those bunker shooters with 24 gram -7/8 oz loads nailing a harder, faster target had to be cheating. No way.
How many 100 x 100 scores in bunker?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
My thoughts always where if you stop worrying about the wad, shot, powder, what the weather was when you loaded that box of shells, and if the old lady behind the desk gave you the right squad position. You would just shoot the dam targets and break many more. ... But that is just me...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts