Trapshooters Forum banner

1 oz 81/2 ?

2690 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Fritzboy
Anyone use 1 oz 81/2 for caps? If so what distance (yardage) & what choke & in what type of gun?

Thanx,
Phil Berkowitz
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,797 Posts
1Oz. 8 1/2's in front of Solo 1000. for 16 yd and first shot doubles.
Soft shooter but excellent patterns No reason it wouldn't be fine back to about 21 Yds or more if you got the guts to try. I've tried it from the back line in calm air. Wouldn't depend on it from there.

Big Jack

· Banned
9,042 Posts
Tried that experiment. 25 yd marker, 1250 fps. recipe 1oz. 8 1/2 lead. There was a strong wind that day, from the side. Did not do well. I think the lead was a little light at that distance. Maybe it was the wind, I do not know. The breaks I had were not bad, but they were not convincing enough to keep that as my normal load. The two rounds at 25 yds were shot back to back. 7 1/2 at 1 1/8oz. the first, and 8 1/2 at 1oz. the second. Dropped four more birds. Granted this was not a long, drawn out experiment. 16 yd though, what a low recoil and smoking load. IM chokes from all distances. Gun, Krieghoff KS-5.

· Registered
2,145 Posts
With the rebates I bought some STS 1 oz.8 1/2 shot that were on sale.I tried them from 24yds,my results in the wind were not so good and have went back to 1 oz. of 7 1/2's for caps.Jerry

· Registered
1,428 Posts
I shot new Federals at the 82 or 84 Grand (Gold Medals) when they first appeared.

Worked well for me at 20yd.

However, for long yardage or windy conditions I probably would use larger shot.

Regards....Gerald

· Registered
10 Posts
Tried this on purpose and by accident and 8.5's seems to work OK out to 20 yds. Did this accidently in competion. I did not notice I was shooting 8.5's until 3/4 way through HC event at 24 yds. That answered my question; Why arent these targets breaking?! Or maybe it would have been a bad day even if I had 1 1/8 7.5 shot.

Recently, I have been shooting 7/8 oz #8 reloads for practice. They actually break targets well from 23yds if I'm on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.