Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Promo powder recenlty and thought I would try some 1 oz loads. I checked on line and found the Alliant reloading manual but can't find a 1 oz recipe using Win AA hulls. The "chart" jumps from 7/8ths to 1 1/8 oz of shot but I don't see anything for a 1 oz load. Anyone help with a recipe for 1 oz of shot @ 1200 fps using a claybuster wad ?

·
Registered
806 Posts
O.K., at your own risk here is my load. 19.5 grains Promo,1100cb wad, ched primer and the AA hull for a one ounce load.. That'll put you at faster than 1200fps. So back it off some for 1200fps. Jim

·
Registered
700 Posts
I am loading promo with 1oz using a mec bushing 31 that is dropping 17.8 shoot it at everything trap,skeet and sporting works great

·
Registered
626 Posts
Looks like the alliant web site shows 19.5 gr abou 1300fps.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=2&powderid=4&gauge=12

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
I use 16.5gr Promo, CB1100, 1oz #8 or 8-1/2, and Fio 616 or Win 209 (depending on how cold it is). Very soft shooting, excellent patterns, and more than ample at 16yds. Chichay

·
Registered
61 Posts
amboy

We use Promo and like it very much. My son's favorite load is AA hull, CB1100-12 wad, 1oz lead, 18.0 gr promo and a Win 209 primer. Expert at Aliant said we could sub the Noble Sport primer safely in this load. This is advertised at 1200fps and 8900psi.

Make sure when you use Promo that you weigh the charges when starting out and when you change jugs of powder as different lots weigh differently. Also you can use Red Dot data by weight but the powder bushing will be significantly different so weigh to be safe.

If you sub to the Noble Sport primer there is no going back to Winchesters as the primer pocket gets stretched out and a Winchester or domestic primer may fall out.

Brian " Robbies Dad"

·
Registered
419 Posts
As you can see Promo is used a lot and 16.5 to 19.5 is used I split the difference at 17. It's a fine load with respectable speed and light felt recoil. Jim

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I use 19.6 with 24 gram... I think I'd back it wown to 19 grains of Promo or a little less for 1 oz.. The 18 grain/18.5 grain should be about perfect..

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
16 grains of Promo is the same as 16 grains of Red Dot. Or what ever amount you're looking for. It just may take a different bushing from each powder to get that 16 grains, because of the different density.

Ajax

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I load my 1 1/8 loads with 18 gr of promo AA/STS hulls. My 1 oz loads I simply change the shot charge and wad and use the same 18 grs of powder.

Jim

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
As Brian said, pay attention to the weight; I moved from a #31 bushing to a #28 to maintain 17.5 to 18 grains when I changed Promo batches. Your scale is your friend...

Doc

·
Registered
806 Posts
To Mr. Sprtnclays, I bet it's hotter than 1300fps. Mr. Sims, ya, I'm watching myself. I've seen data going even higher. Hard for me to go there though. JKP

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
I have a 2005 Loading chart for Promo and it shows Winchester 1 ounce AA shell loading data and it takes 18 grains of Promo for 1200 FPS. It is a PDF file and I can email it if you want a copy.

Send me an email and I'll fire it off to you.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.