Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use around 16 grains of green dot for extra light 1 ounce loads? l mistakenly used green dot in a #27 MEC bushing rather than 700X. I found them effective and a joy to shoot while re-habing a shoulder l'm thinking l may go to something like that.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It will burn dirty ! 19.5 grains burns dirty and your load might not work in cold weather. I would go with Extra lite powder and a 7/8 load for your healing shoulder.

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts
The data manual will tell you 16 gr. of Green Dot and 1 oz. of shot will give you woefully low pressures. Such loads will produce inconsistent results and leave lots of ash in the barrel. It's always better to stick with loads for which there is published data. 16 gr. of Green Dot is well below the lowest load I'm seeing for either a Rem or a Win hull for 1 oz.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Anyone ever use around 16 grains of green dot for extra light 1 ounce loads? l mistakenly used green dot in a #27 MEC bushing rather than 700X. I found them effective and a joy to shoot while re-habing a shoulder l'm thinking l may go to something like that.
Green Dot has a burn rate too slow for a really effective use at that weight. I won't go below 18 grs. for Green Dot using 1 oz. loads. I would suggest a faster burning powder . 16 grs. of Red Dot will be much more effective and still easy on your shoulder.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was stoned to death on this site for a load just a little more then that. They shoot so well from the 16. You can shoot all day. 200 bird events no problem.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have been using Green Dot for 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads, 1150 fps to 1250 fps for a couple of years now. It is the softest shooting powder that I have ever used. There are cleaner powders but it is not that dirty in any load I have tried. And I pull a bore snake through after every outing anyhow. You have to clean your gun once in awhile no matter what powder you use.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
I loaded a batch of 1 oz Green Dot loads, and had to save them for warm weather. In the 40's, I had numerous off sounding shells. This was in GC hulls with Pink CB wads and Fed 209A primers. I used 20 gr of powder.

The same amount of Intl' worked well.

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts
You didn't state hull, primer and wad.

But I'll offer my feelings on it hoping that your using a tapered case and a hot primer.

If I we're going to make a habit using Green Dot in such amounts, I would use a hot primer, good wad and put a little stronger crimp on the shell to give this load a better chance at performance.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I loaded a batch of 1 oz Green Dot loads, and had to save them for warm weather. In the 40's, I had numerous off sounding shells. This was in GC hulls with Pink CB wads and Fed 209A primers. I used 20 gr of powder.

WOW that's a new one on me, but I did use Rem. primers, balance was very similar GC & STS hulls ---18gr. G.D---CBs clone of TGT wonder what the difference was??

·
Registered
144 Posts
Now that’s a light load! I use about 19g of green dot in my 1oz loads. That’s supposed to be around 1145 if the charts I’m reading are accurate.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Really! l use 20 grains of green dot on my 1 oz handicap loads for years with no issues. l do use Cheddite primers tho the 15.8 grains does produce some off sounding loads, but l shot a better than average for me 96 at the lowa state shoot. The misses were just that and breaks were normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts