Trapshooters Forum banner

1 or 2 Shots In Wobble Trap League?

3251 Views 28 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  AusAmateur
We are in the process of getting a wobble trap league together and have some questions about how other people are doing it.
Do you have 1 or 2 shots?
How do you handle the handicap yardage?
Do you have 5 person teams and score all 5? Or do you score the top 3 or 4?
Other variables/suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
DK
Reactions: ishoottrap
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Score two points for a first barrel kill and one for a second barrel... obviously a -0- on a miss... that’s what we do.

Safety is a big concern when folks load two shells however... may not be worth it and not everyone has an over/under

· Registered
489 Posts
Wobble/Continental could be set up just about any way you want to run it. Typically it is a 2 shot game from the 17yd. line with squads of up to 5 people. You can make it more interesting using the format Sportshot described & I have also seen it done as a "slider" where you start out on the 19yd. line & move back 2yds. after each shot. After you get to the 27, you change posts & start all over at the 19. Scoring can be individual or if various clubs are involved in the league, you can take the top 5 scores from each club to determine the winner.

· Registered
236 Posts
At our club it's shot individually one shot each target, 16 yd line 2 rounds each week . Ours is a short season filler between spring and fall leagues. At the end we have a championship shoot off start at the 20 for 5 shots and then back up 2 yds at a time 1 shot sudden death for ties. These rounds are shot 1 on one from posts 1 and 5 elimination format.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
We are in the process of getting a wobble trap league together and have some questions about how other people are doing it.
Thanks in advance.
DK
At the Martinez Gun Club in California, Greg Fahmie would throw a 50 bird wobble shoot followed by a filet mignon dinner with wine on the table. One shot, five man squads... shoot 25, followed by the last 25. It went pretty quick. One shot allowed those with single barrel guns to participate.
First place paid $400, second $300, third $200, and fourth $100, ties divided. Win and the next time you shoot from 24 yards. Raffle at the end. I would usually donate shooting supplies, but people would bring all kinds of good stuff... wine, booze...
I can't remember how much it cost, but it was less than the same dinner for my wife and I if we were to go to a restaurant, and you could win some good money.

When Greg took over about fifteen years ago, the club was so broke, they were buying targets at Walmart. Being a good businessman, he turned it around and now it's the best place I know of to shoot targets.

· Registered
475 Posts
One shot....I hate all games with the possibility of extra shots as it screws up my “complete” boxes of shells for other games. Maybe I am too particular about this point but when I go out for a game i shoot 25 not more. I do like five stand but one shell goes in for the singles. If I miss oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
Krieghoff K-80s
3,304 Posts
I shot in and won some wobble trap leagues years ago that allowed two shots. The concern I had was allowing two shots. I felt it was unsafe. People were walking from post to post with loaded guns. Release triggers we’re going off. I finally just walked away from it. YMMV.

Good luck & be safe.
Jon Reitz

· Registered
1,762 Posts
Thanks in advance.
DK
At one time there was an org called Wimpy's Wobbles. Registered wobble! You shot one time. First from the 16 and the hdcp event was shooting from 12 yrds. As of a few years ago no one had run them from the 12!! We went to Placerville Ca for a registered shoot and my buddy missed the last bird for a 99. It was a ball.
Good luck with your wobble.

· Registered
968 Posts
Well I see all kinds of different rules laid out on this thread, so lets try and get it right. I am aware that clubs have different ideas on how things should be run and how tough the targets should be. The general idea is to come close to a Bunker using only one trap.
Shoot from the 17 yard line, targets should go 70 meters, and the angles are 32.5 degrees either side of center. Two shots are allowed and score the same. Shooters rotate after every shot, but are not supposed to move until the shooter on the next post to your right has shot, you then move right and stand behind him until its his turn to move. There can be 6 shooters per squad the 6th shooter stands behind the first shooter and when the shooter on post 1 shoots and moves to post 2 the 6th shooter moves to post one. Guns must be open when you move to the next post, but can have a live round in the chamber. When you move from post 5 to post 1 any shells must be removed and the gun open. You cannot reload until you are standing on post 1.
Enjoy Wobble as its fun and may help you hit that odd bird that comes out high or low and wind affected at an ATA shoot.
Devonian.
These rules are really the same as Olympic Trap. [Bunker.]

· Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Well I see all kinds of different rules laid out on this thread, so lets try and get it right. I am aware that clubs have different ideas on how things should be run and how tough the targets should be. The general idea is to come close to a Bunker using only one trap.
Shoot from the 17 yard line, targets should go 70 meters, and the angles are 32.5 degrees either side of center. Two shots are allowed and score the same. Shooters rotate after every shot, but are not supposed to move until the shooter on the next post to your right has shot, you then move right and stand behind him until its his turn to move. There can be 6 shooters per squad the 6th shooter stands behind the first shooter and when the shooter on post 1 shoots and moves to post 2 the 6th shooter moves to post one. Guns must be open when you move to the next post, but can have a live round in the chamber. When you move from post 5 to post 1 any shells must be removed and the gun open. You cannot reload until you are standing on post 1.
Enjoy Wobble as its fun and may help you hit that odd bird that comes out high or low and wind affected at an ATA shoot.
Devonian.
These rules are really the same as Olympic Trap. [Bunker.]
Release triggers or no release triggers ... you didn’t say? What about double release and the second barrel is only needed about four or five times in a round.

· Registered
968 Posts
I am sorry I should have said. No release triggers. Although I know we have allowed single release, pull shooters to take part. If use the rules of OT or Bunker trap release triggers are banned. From what I read and was told several years ago the reason was that release triggers were banned as it was thought that release triggers gave the shooter an advantage as the first shot was quicker with a release trigger and not for safety reason.
I hope this helps and does not annoy too many release triggers shooters.
Devonian.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I hope this helps and does not annoy too many release triggers shooters.
It does. Annoy. This isn’t bunker. This is American trap machines used in a way to let people miss without embarrassment. A crutch. If you discriminate against release trigger shooters in the game in America well.... screw that. You’ve kept an awfull lot of guns and their shooters on the sidelines. Unless you make them shoot pull only and by doing so make them dangerous.

Reactions: Scoutman 06

· Registered
833 Posts
Thanks in advance.
DK
The Puget Sound Olympic Continental Trapshooting League has existed since the sixties. This page has rules which has classifications, etc. In 2020, we had more than 30 teams.

· Registered
833 Posts
I shot in and won some wobble trap leagues years ago that allowed two shots. The concern I had was allowing two shots. I felt it was unsafe. People were walking from post to post with loaded guns. Release triggers we’re going off. I finally just walked away from it. YMMV.

Good luck & be safe.
Jon Reitz
International bunker trap is 2 shots and shells are allowed in the chambers of an open O/U when moving between posts except moving from 5 to 6 (or the ready post) and 6 to 1. The entire world shoots this way.

6,495 Posts
One shot Wobble from 16 yards... now we did it as individual shooter league and used a Lewis system for classes, that way you really competed against similar scoring folks...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.