1 Gun.................. | Page 3 | Trap Shooters Forum

1 Gun..................

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Passport, Jan 17, 2015.

1. jacksback

jacksback Well-Known Member

Nope, it's called "New Gun Syndrome" o_O

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

Heck, I carried AA Singles averages back in the 70's with a SX-1 and us old timers remember how few Pete McCall ever missed when he shot one!!

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Your parameters are too rigid to achieve your goal unless you set your gun up for the 50/50 then get so familiar with the gun to know how much space to see between the beads for all the other disciplines. Then you have to be good enough to keep your head set, precisely where it needs to be to break the target each and every time. Tough assignment.

4. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Active Member

The computer between your ears will adjust to whatever gun you shoot, provided you shoot it long enough. I think Rudy Etchen - way "back in the day," shot an 870 - stock out of the box, full choke. I'm not going to Google him to verify - no need 'round here - but I'm pretty sure.

5. rw993

rw993 Well-Known Member

If your gun is truly 50/50 and you want to shoot everything. You will have to change comb or get an adjustable rib on your 1100. You need elevation to shoot trap. If you are having to cover the rising bird to break it you will never be looking at the target when you shoot, because it's blocked by your barrell. (whether you realize it or not).
    Figure out a good evevation for trap and just change out a couple washers on the comb to set the gun up for whatever you are shooting.
    I shoot Trap and Skeet with the same set up, but flatten out for SCs as most targets are falling in SC.

I know a couple "big dogs" that even change elevation between Handicap and Doubles. I've seen changes made between traps in extreme wind.

RW

6. Claybird2

Claybird2 Krieghoff K80

Life's too short to shoot one gun...........:D:D:D

7. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Active Member

I broke a bunch of 50s and enough 100s to know that when I missed, it was me and not my 50/50 gun. The vast majority of target presentations in any shooting sport require lead; and at 50/50 that means just getting ahead of the bird, and not fussing about float as well. The few straight away shots, just touch the bottom on the target w/your bead or barrel and pull the trigger. The three feet of pattern spread once the shot travels 40 yards will take care of the rest. But like I said before, if your gun shoot high and that becomes seecond nature - awesome - just shoot it enough to make it actually second nature. My 2 cents - and only mine - not throwing any stones.... don't buy into a 50/50 gun keeping you from big scores.

Stl Flyn thanked this.
  8. mike campbell

mike campbell Well-Known Member

"It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian."
    If the Indians had practiced more with their bows they could have beaten the guys with Winchesters?

"watch out for the guy who shoots one gun"
    Yeah, he'll bore you to death in other ways, too.
    If I need a carpenter I should hire the guy who only carries a hammer?

The surest path to success is striving for mediocrity.

9. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Active Member

There is a book out about what it takes to be a champion; not sure the title, something like "raising a champion" or the like. Basically written by a guy who collected stats on pro athletes and musicians, most who came from nothing. Bottom line, he calculated they practiced for 10,000 hours to get to their elite level. In the backyard, the school lot, where ever they were with what ever they had. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice.

10. leadingedge

leadingedge Active Member

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for us one gun guys, no disrespect to the the people who call us boring or not competitive, but I would put myself and my one gun against anybody in an all around shoot. I really think guys should shoot the gun they shoot the best and for me it's my MX10. Like I said, no disrespect intended but it seems to be given freely towards us.
    Darrell

11. bigben

bigben Active Member

Darrell, thanks for the info on your one gun, however your mx-10 is akin to entering entering a pit bull vs a beagle! The premise here, one gun no adjustable rib, no adjustable comb, no adjustable chokes etc. Your mx-10 can shoot anywhere from 50/50 to 90/10 with a figure 8 higher if you raise your adjustable comb, you can change your choke tubes to shoot any distance etc, etc! incinerate em!

leadingedge thanked this.
  12. leadingedge

leadingedge Active Member

Bigben,
    I understand your point of the adjustability of the MX 10. I guess I should have said that I do not change the POI on my gun depending on what I am shooting. It is set at 100% high and I do not change it. Once I find where I shoot a gun the best I try and leave it alone and just as you say, incinerate'em.
    Hope I didn't come off as an a$$, it has been a bad couple of weeks around here dealing with my father being put in hospice.
    Darrell

13. mpolans

mpolans Well-Known Member

Where did you get that idea? The OP has a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic with an adjustable comb and buttplate, and removable chokes.

If desired, one could add an adjustable rib.

14. bigben

bigben Active Member

Darrell, God bless on the on coming weeks! we sometimes dwell on stupid categories when in your instance your dad is so much more important! God bless you and yours! incinerate em!

leadingedge thanked this.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting scores gone down